Jump to content


First Class Petty Officer
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Donations


MPsgt last won the day on August 20 2018

MPsgt had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

73 Excellent

About MPsgt

  • Rank
    E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Birthday March 19

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Location

Previous Fields

  • Service Connected Disability
  • Branch of Service
  • Hobby

Recent Profile Visitors

1,483 profile views
  1. Can dependents authorized Chapter 35 benefits at 45 months use any remaining eligibility after receiving their degree?  For instance, the dependent graduates with a Biomedical Degree after using 36 months of eligibility.  Can the remaining 9 months be used in Dental School?  I've been unable to find law making this clear.  Further, I believe the answer to be yes.  I'm hoping you'll be able to point me to the law and/or regulation.  Thank You Berta.

    1. Berta


      I dont know.

      I believe their age and also the date of the additional Chapter 35 application would factor in.


      If you post your question in the main forum others there have had experience with Chapter 35 and they might know the right answer.

      My experience with DEA was with AMU -American Military University.

      My limiting date eligibility ran out , at some point ( it was based on my husband's 100% P & T SC PTSD) so I finished my degree myself- without the DEA cash.

      Then I proved my husband had AO DMII that contributed to  his death and they gave me a refund of what I had paid out of pocket., and a new limiting date.

      I tried to convince my daughter ( USAF Intel 7 years) to use her DEA award years ago but she is working on her Masters and does not want to deal with the VA- as they made a big error on her initia DEA application. They fixed the error right away but she saw what her dad went through with VA, then me as his widow, and she works for NSA- Dept of Defense and has paid for her degrees herself.

      I have a claim pending that if awarded could offer me a new delimiting date and I might use my DEA again. I was the first civilian graduate ( with Honors) from AMU.USMC gave me a book grant and that alone was a tremendous benefit.

      I suggest asking the question in the main forum. Broncovet might know.

      DEA has some exceptions to their regulations.It is certainly worth the while that your dependent pursue this.

      But also there are some areas of education they will not cover. I asked if I could finish flight school under DEA, but they didn't go for that.My former college had a full flight school program-but they (AMU) did accept all of my past college credits.

      The error they made on my daughters DEA was fixed in three weeks  when I wrote a CUE she signed and mailed to them, but it just goes to show- even VA Educational Dept can be an oxymoron. 






  2. The hard copy of the letter will be telling. Others have stated asking someone with VBMS access. The only person allowed to access that system should be a claims agent or service organization representative. So if you’ve one, then contact them. A rate increase doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll receive TDIU. There’s many variables for achieving that status. The increase from 50 to 70 for PTSD is a good start. Even if you didn’t meet TDIU standards this time. 38 USC & 38 CFR are V.A. regulations that can be used for self education.
  3. MPsgt

    SMC (k)

    Have any Veterans ever received SMC (k) for loss of smell? Especially, if the Veteran has a 0% SC rating for it.
  4. Buck, I'm TDIU 80% P&T since 14 Sep 11 and have yet to recall the VA ever sending me VA Form 21-4140 to complete. Furthermore, I've never sent one to the VA on my own accord. However, I still follow all VA protocol, appointments and medications. I've never sought out any type of employment since then either.
  5. Also, if you complete VR&E. You’ll likely be expected to return to work. AF retirement+Federal retirement+100P&T= find something else worth doing with your time. The VA and service organizations could use your talents. Congratulations too!!
  6. Kudos for bettering yourself. However, It’s a fact. When you complete VOC Rehab? They VA will deem you employable. You WILL lose your TDIU. I think you could argue the rental property issue, but that’s out of my lane.
  7. I wouldn’t pay a lawyer for something you and a good service Officer can do for free. You’ve got a lot of options, but going it alone is a bad one. If you’ve got issues after a surgery by the VA look into the possibility of filing an 1151 Claim. It may be wise for legal counsel on that approach. Discuss it with a service officer first and any recommendation she/he may have. TDIU you can not be working if you file. Filing for SS is an option too. Their standards are different for rating conditions and based on your length of work history. A medical option by a VA doctor is the best optio
  8. Thanks, and no I'm strictly a volunteering VSO and hold not accreditation. There is an assigned DSO (accredited) and he/she holds the POA. The Veteran did want me to ask. I asked on this forum due in large part to the vast experience. Sometimes a DSO doesn't go into greater detail about individual claims. I've been a VSO for a little over eights years and my name has never been associated with any on those claims. Again, thanks for the expressing cautions.
  9. No, The Veteran isn't computer savvy. I'm in the process of getting him an Ebenefits and myhealthyvet account. He's my neighbor and needs a lot of help with navigating the VA. I've done several thousand claims but, this is one of a hand full I'm handling personally. I think the NOD will be solid and will be favorable with a couple IMO's. His wife is doing most the work. I believe the Sleep Apnea, Petit Mal Seizures, and Graves Disease can be favorable with private records and VA IMO's. I appreciate the assistance and try to keep you posted about the outcome(s).
  10. Good Info and refer to t-bird for Veterans decision letter.
  11. Medical Record (Naval).pdf Decision Letter.pdf
  12. I've got an Honorably discharged (non-combat) Veteran from the Navy for an undiagnosed sleep disorder. The VA has rated him 0% for Narcolepsy. In my research, and through my understanding. IAW 38 CFR 4.124a, 8108 Narcolepsy rate as for 8911 Epilepsy, petit mal. Since the VA acknowledges Narcolepsy, shouldn't they confer 8911 Epilepsy, Petit mal to determine his rating above 0%? By meeting the definition, Epilepsy, petit mal of more than 10 minor seizures weekly. Shouldn't the VA have rated him at least 80% for Narcolepsy that's uncontrolled by medication? I'm unsure if the VA even ackno
  13. It took 3 months from my receiving of the “brown envelope.” It could longer or shorter depending on the size of the retro payment. A lot of signatures and reviews are required before a payment is deposited.
  14. I assume your husband died 4 and half years ago? Of what did he die? How long have you received a “Pension?” What amount is the “Pension?” Are you familiar with DIC? What’s annotated on his Death Certificate as to the cause of death? Was your husband in the Navy and if so, did he ever go into Vietnam at least once? Meaning his boots touched the soil in the Republic of Vietnam. If Navy was the Service was he always blue water or a combination of blue and brown water? This makes a difference, too.
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines