Jump to content


Chief Petty Officers
  • Content Count

  • Donations

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


toddt last won the day on June 11

toddt had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

78 Excellent


About toddt

  • Rank
    E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Birthday 03/27/1939

Previous Fields

  • Service Connected Disability
  • Hobby

Recent Profile Visitors

1,304 profile views
  1. Because it happened in service it is automatically service connected. Here's the thing, the reason for VA disability pay is to compensate the Veteran a certain percentage based upon his/her ability to function at a certain level. In what way did the your thyroidectomy prevent you from functioning at 100%? Do you have a disability that is secondary to your thryoidectomy? I would suggest that you go here: https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp and enter "thyroidectomy" in the "find these words" box. Read the results, you will learn a lot.
  2. Thyroid cancer would fall under the "endocrine system" for disability codes: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.119 More than likely under DC 7903. Do you have evidence that your thyroid carcinoma is service connected. In other words do you have a doctors opinion that your thyroid carcinoma is "at least as likely as not" related to your military service?
  3. “Service connection for an acquired disorder including MDD and PTSD is warranted” That pretty well sums it up for you. Congratulations on your win..
  4. https://www.hadit.com/veterans-affairs-fast-letters-and-veterans-affairs-training-letters/
  5. Reading how the VA calculates your disability percentage (https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp) it is my understanding that they do not use a calculator which will result in xx.xx%, they use the Combined Ratings Table. "If VA finds that a Veteran has multiple disabilities, VA uses the Combined Ratings Table below to calculate a combined disability rating." Any combination which results in 15, 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85, 95 wil be rounded up to the next multiple of 10. Therefor, a 95 should be rounded up to 100. I find that the Hill and Ponton calculator (https://www.hillandponton.com/va-disability-calculator/) will give you very good results provided that you input your disabilities in the correct order, i.e., highest rated disability is put in first followed by the next highest, etc.
  6. The VA moves at its own pace. You can call "Peggy" at: 800-827-1000 - for any updates.
  7. Not likely - you're missing the vital component SERVICE CONNECTED. You will have to get your back injury service connected in order to be compensated. You have been denied because you are missing one or two elements of the Caluza triangle (https://www.hadit.com/caluza-triangle-defines-necessary-service-connection/) Here is more information regarding your question: https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/special-claims/temporary-increase-after-surgery-or-cast/
  8. I'm going to assume you meant June 11, if so you should be seeing it soon. It all depends on who did the DBQ was it a contractor, a private doctor or the VA?
  9. Put "JP-8" in the search function of these two sites. Be sure to check all years. https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp http://www.uscourts.cavc.gov/index.php
  10. https://asknod.org/2015/08/07/va-new-21-0960p-4-bent-brain-inventory/ From the above: "To add insult to injury, a private psychiatrist’s diagnosis, let alone a nexus letter tying it to a stressor in service, is meaningless. VA’s 2010 regulations explicitly order the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) to accomplish the C&P. The private nexus is merely an annoying side show that has little bearing on what the VA decides."
  11. eBenefits and Va.gov are notorious for incorrect information and for being weeks or months behind updating. Go by what the letter says. Congratulations on the win,
  12. When a veteran dies from a service-connected disability, that veteran’s surviving spouse, children, and under some conditions, parents are eligible for dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC) from VA. DIC is a monthly payment made to a surviving spouse, child, or parent because of a service-connected death. A spouse must establish entitlement to DIC under one of these conditions: the veteran died on active military service; or the veteran had a service-connected disability that was either the principal or contributing cause of death; or the veteran died from a non-service-connected injury or disease and was receiving, or entitled to receive, VA compensation for a service-connected disability rated totally disabling for at least (a) 10 years before death, (b) at least 5 years after the release from active duty preceding death, or (c) at least 1 year before death, if the veteran was a former prisoner of war who died after September 30, 1999.
  13. It took them 5 months to "compute" my measly 6k. Yours appears to be quite large so, yes 6 months to a year is probably right. You should be getting your monthly 100% July 1. Congratulations on the win.
  14. Regarding the sleep apnea claim. I believe it's a long shot without a nexus linking your MDD. To increase your possibility of a win you need a nexus from a doctor who is a specialist in sleep studies. The letter must state: that your sleep apnea is "at least as likely as not" a result of your MDD. The docotor must also state how he/she came to that conclusion also, that he/she has read your whole medical file regarding MDD and sleep apnea. Good luck
  15. This pamphlet should answer your question: http://www.vetsfirst.org/pdf/va_survivor_and dependent_educational_assistance.pdf
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines