VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraines

Rate this topic

Can anyone tell me a few names of different prescriptions for migraines. I have been on Neurontin for a long time and just recently weaned myself off because of all the side affects. I do take Midrin and it seems to help slightly, but I am trying to find something that will take the pain away without all the crazy side affects.

Thanks

Tamara

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been taking Topamax for about 2 months now, for PN and Migraines works good for the PN so so for the Migraines.

Tamara,

I've had migraines for many years. There are prophylaxis drugs that you can take that prevent migraine attacks such as Topamax, beta blockers (toprol XL, Inderal etc), Elavil, SSRI's etc. Then there are the drugs that help the pain once you have a migraine or feel you are getting a migraine. There are a lot of those. Since I was diagnosed with heart disease in 2002 I can't use the drugs that constrict the blood vessels such as Midrin or any of the Triptans. That's how those drugs work they constrict the blood vessels in your head (and everywhere else for that matter) causing your migraine to stop). The triptans are drugs like Relpax, Maxalt & Imitrex, they work well for a lot of people if you can use them. Then there's the narcotic pain relievers. I've had a lot of luck with Stadol Nasal spray. One spray of that & my migraine is gone for a while. Of course, it's not gone for good but in 10 minutes it's gone for a while.

I started on Topamax in December. It has been a wonder drug for me! I was having 10-15 migraines a month and I'm now down to less than 5. You have to start on Topamax really slow & it's a really hard drug to get used to & has some bad side effects at first but they DO go away, at least they did for me. For about a week your minds kind of fuzzy & I was really forgetful but it did go away & boy was it worth it, I'm glad I stuck with it. My quality of life is much better.

If I can help any more, just ask.

Teresa

Thanks so much for the posts. I will mention these to my neurologist. I imagine he already knows of them, its just that we haven't gotten around to trying different things yet. I just cant take the pain somedays, well most days. I actually have gottten better since my brain surgery, but now I have intracranial instability ans I think thats where the migrianes are coming from. Like I said, I was lucky if I DIDN"T have a migraine 2x a week before. They used to last for 3 and 4 days at a time, but now I get 3 or 4 a day, but only 3x or so a week. I also have several allergies to meds and chemicals, so I have to watch what I take.

Thanks again,

Tamara

I was having migraines before my spinal fusion, for 35 years.

After the first operation they went away.

I have not had one since.

Spinal cord compression can cause almost anything.

It takes an MRI to detect the level of the problem.

sledge

Sledge,

I have Chiari Malformation, where your brain herniates downward into the spinal canal. And yes, only the MRI finally gave me the diagnosis. My growth was 24mm below the base of my skull. I had no blood flow coming out of the 4th ventricle of my brain or any flow to my spinal accessories. I have permanent damage to my brainstem because the growth was there for so long undetected and created a brain stem hump (bulge in the brain stem). Once the surgery was done (posterior fossa decompresion and lameonectomy of c1 and partial c2), the blood flow was better, but the damage to my brain stem is not reversable, so I still get the migraines all the time. I also have I think they called it nerve damage, or loss of use to my left side of my body, the entire side. All I know is that my left side is not as sensative, and it gets tired quicky, PN all ove r and tons of other stuff. I have had migraines since 1987. I used to get bad before the surgery and actualy black out from time to time. It was to the point for years that the doctors thought I was lying and ave me elavil, wellbutrin and other meds to that affect. Gee were they wrong, bigtime.

What part of your back did you have fused? What was your dx?