VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Shoulder And Depression

Rate this question

bern381

Question

I am currently service connected for my right shoulder (pain limitation of motion). I have a claim in for my left shoulder because of pain and limitation of motion. In my records, a disability exists and the levels of severity are shown. I also have a statement from my PCP stating that my left shoulder disability is more than likely the result of repetative overuse due to overcompensation for my right shoulder disability (he also includes measurements for ROM). Is this statement along with VA progress notes enough to win the claim? Also, I am being treated for depression and am claiming this secondary to my right shoulder disability. I have a GAF of 50 and progress notes saying that the depression is related to pain from my service connected shoulder. Is this claim winnable?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sounds good to me-

This is a good case of how a SC disability can cause another secondary disability and then cause pain that leads to another disability---

can you work with these problems?

• HadIt.com Elder

Bern

When you file for a secondary condition you will always need a statement from a doctor saying that the secondary condition is at least as likely as not the result of the primary condition. If you have those kinds of statements you can most definitely win your claims for depression and the other shoulder. I don't know many who don't have some depression from chronic pain. Chronic pain disorder is a condition itself. It has pyschological and physical components. I am service connected for chronic pain with medical and psychological conditions. Mine is due to Agent Orange.

Thanks for the input. I am attempting to get someone from the mental health clinic to link the depression and shoulder disability. They have it related to pain. However, I would like to get morte specific wording. I am currently working. Some days are worse/better than others. I take it one day at a time. I just hope that I don't get any worse. My wife loves me. I don't want to put her through anymore grief. Sometimes it seems as if I take things out on her. I don't mean to. I get so agitated and to top it off my sleep patterns are horrible.

I am currently service connected for my right shoulder (pain limitation of motion). I have a claim in for my left shoulder because of pain and limitation of motion. In my records, a disability exists and the levels of severity are shown. I also have a statement from my PCP stating that my left shoulder disability is more than likely the result of repetative overuse due to overcompensation for my right shoulder disability (he also includes measurements for ROM). Is this statement along with VA progress notes enough to win the claim? Also, I am being treated for depression and am claiming this secondary to my right shoulder disability. I have a GAF of 50 and progress notes saying that the depression is related to pain from my service connected shoulder. Is this claim winnable?

• HadIt.com Elder

Bern

Chronic pain will do that to you. Berta or someone posted an example of a good IMO report. You want a report for a doctor who will say in no uncertain terms that your service connected pain is the cause of your depression and sleep disorder.

• HadIt.com Elder

The claim is very winnable. But you are dealing with the VA and like John mentioned your Doctors need to nail it down for you. Its pretty well accepted by professional's that any injury that is long term can cause depression.