VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Shoulder And Depression

Rate this question

bern381

Question

I am currently service connected for my right shoulder (pain limitation of motion). I have a claim in for my left shoulder because of pain and limitation of motion. In my records, a disability exists and the levels of severity are shown. I also have a statement from my PCP stating that my left shoulder disability is more than likely the result of repetative overuse due to overcompensation for my right shoulder disability (he also includes measurements for ROM). Is this statement along with VA progress notes enough to win the claim? Also, I am being treated for depression and am claiming this secondary to my right shoulder disability. I have a GAF of 50 and progress notes saying that the depression is related to pain from my service connected shoulder. Is this claim winnable?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am currently service connected for my right shoulder (pain limitation of motion). I have a claim in for my left shoulder because of pain and limitation of motion. In my records, a disability exists and the levels of severity are shown. I also have a statement from my PCP stating that my left shoulder disability is more than likely the result of repetative overuse due to overcompensation for my right shoulder disability (he also includes measurements for ROM). Is this statement along with VA progress notes enough to win the claim? Also, I am being treated for depression and am claiming this secondary to my right shoulder disability. I have a GAF of 50 and progress notes saying that the depression is related to pain from my service connected shoulder. Is this claim winnable?

• HadIt.com Elder

Any time you deal with a secondary condition you need a doctor's opinion that makes the case for SC. The VA will just wriggle around and never connect you unless it is right in their face. That has been my experience. I have had three secondary conditions SC'ed to my DMII and the only way is to get a medical opinion that states the relationship in no uncertain terms. Even the most obvious secondary conditions usually need a medical opinion to connect them. You are dealing with raters who are not doctor's or lawyers. Many probably just have a HSD and some experience rejecting insurance claims in the private sector.