VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why And Help

Rate this question

kia

Question

I was rate by the VA 40%. 30% for my MS and 10% for nere damage in my foot and 10% for my knee. now please explain the VAs math 30+10+10= 50 not 40. Anyway it took me 7 years any plenty of hospital stays to getting re-evaluate and receiving a rating of 70%. but once again with VA math not real math. This is what I mean I already had 40% and then I received 30% for Migraine cuased by chronic steroid use,10% for Neuropathy right upper extremity,10%right lower extremity,and 10% for GERD seondary to chronic steroid use. How does this equal 70% CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS!!!!!!!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Ricky gave a good asessment of why the system is like it is. Even if say a veteran is 80% disabled, he/she may still be able to work full time and collect a full pay check every month. So let's say a 80% disabled veteran is able to earn $1500.00 (take home pay) a month at a full time position on top of the 80% disability, the veteran would have a monthly income of about $2800.00 (without dependents), which is actually amounts to more than the 100% disability from VA.

Granted, this is purely speculative on what type of job and income that individual person is able to earn, as some 70%, 80%, or 90% disabled veterans are only able to earn a couple of hundred dollar extra in a part-time job to supplement their VA disability. However, on the average in the grand picture of eveything these veterans are able to earn a decent income to supplement their disability. Keep in mind this is also why IU is available if this isn't the case. Social Security disability must also be factored into this too.

Vike 17

Which would make sense if the VA didn't award 100% ratings for people who can obtain gainful employment AND their 100% compensation. In the VA, not all disabilities are treated equally. The loss of (or loss of use of) appendages are awarded compensation on employability AND quality of life (in my opinion). Perhaps 40 years ago, the loss of two legs would mean a lot in the work force, but, today, one can lose both legs and be out playing basketball (without a wheelchair) in a year or less.

Now, I'm not saying that those veterans do not deserve their compensation, but there *is* a double standard in the VA. To my knowledge, there is no regulation that states that a 100% vet cannot work (unless it's TDIU), yet the VA *says* that those ratings are based ONLY on one's ability to retain gainful employment.....so how can someone who is capable of retaining gainful employment be 100% disabled?

In my opinion, the VA should compensate for loss of employability AND loss of quality of life to close these gaps in ratings.

• HadIt.com Elder

You also have to figure in taxes on earned income. Your VA compensation is tax free so it is probably equal to 1.3 or 1.4 times as much as the same amount if it was earned income. With earned income SSA, IRS, and medicare is coming out of the check.