VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Pain

Rate this topic

I'd like to hear from Vets who have had to sign a Narcotic Contract in order to receive pain meds from a VA medical center.

What state and what facility has asked you to sign this contract?

How was the contract presented to you?

Were there consequences if you did not sign it?

Have there been negative consequences as a result of signing this contract.

Have you asked any questions concerning the contract such as who and or how did this contract come into existence?

What are your thoughts about having such a contract even if you have not been asked to sign one.

If you have a copy of your contract would you be willing to send me a copy ( a blank copy is good enough )

If you think that medication abuse takes place what percentage of Vets do you think abuse RX meds?

Edited by Tbird

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I signed a contract for narcotic pain meds with the VAMC in Tampa Florida. I don't think this is unusual. What the VA is worried about is vets getting pain meds and then selling them instead of using them. What happens is that once you sign the contract you have to take a urine and blood test once or twice a year to see if the narcotic is in your system. If it is not in your system then you have to explain why. The VA is much more easy going than many pain management clinics who will only prescribe a month's supply at a time. The VA is also more inclined to prescribe more powerful pain meds than most other doctors. The contract is not a big deal as long as you abide by it. Just be sure you have the dope in your system when you go in for blood work. The feds hound many pain private pain management doctors and they are paranoid as hell about prescribing what is necessary. The VA is not in my experience.

I signed a contract for narcotic pain meds with the VAMC in Tampa Florida. I don't think this is unusual. What the VA is worried about is vets getting pain meds and then selling them instead of using them. What happens is that once you sign the contract you have to take a urine and blood test once or twice a year to see if the narcotic is in your system. If it is not in your system then you have to explain why. The VA is much more easy going than many pain management clinics who will only prescribe a month's supply at a time. The VA is also more inclined to prescribe more powerful pain meds than most other doctors. The contract is not a big deal as long as you abide by it. Just be sure you have the dope in your system when you go in for blood work. The feds hound many pain private pain management doctors and they are paranoid as hell about prescribing what is necessary. The VA is not in my experience.

I know all the right reasons for having one. But it seems that no one knows who gave the orders to present this document into VA health care system.

There is no header or footer with offical information on any of the ones that I have seen. If you accept the defintion : "A contract is a legally binding exchange of promises or agreement between parties that the law will enforce." Then one might ask: What happens when the VA does not abide by it's promise"? Some of these contracts although approved by regional counsel may in fact be illegal. This is why I'm seeking comparative information and accounts of negative consequences.

As we all know what happens in the real world of medicine is not necessarily what happens in the VA now is it?

Edited by Steppenwolf

The VA prescribes meds to keep the Vet away from the Doctors.

Can't seem to get those pages to load. Can you check to see it they're listed correctly?

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I apologize something happened to the link and I have been planning to fix them. As many times as I have had my computer go down this is the only place I can park the link. As soon as my son comes over I will try and solve the problem.