//content.invisioncic.com/r264491/pages_media/homepage-banner-2024.png Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
New Donation Option Better for Us and You ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • donate-banner-email-dec-2023.png

  • 0

Crsc And Lifers

Rate this question



In January the criteria for CRSC -Combat Related Special Compensation changed:

Jerry O raised a question on this and I feel the whole shibang needs to be posted here again:

from: http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...-compensation#2

Also Mil.com has an active CRDP CRSC forum to explain these programs.

Benefits Home > > Combat-Related Special CompensationCombat-Related Special Compensation

Simply put Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) provides military retirees a monthly compensation that replaces their VA disability offset. This means that qualified military retirees with 20 or more years of service that have "combat related" VA-rated disability will no longer have their military retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation. Instead they will receive both their full military retirement pay and their VA disability compensation. The following is a summary of Combat-Related Special Compensation:

Expanded CRSC Coverage

Combat-Related Special Compensation Eligibility

The Value of the CRSC Benefit

The Application Process

Expanded CRSC Coverage

The 2004 National Defense Authorization Act, Combat Related Special Compensation was expanded to include disabilities incurred as a direct result of:

Armed Conflict

Hazardous Duty

Conditions Simulating War

An Instrumentality of War

Unlike concurrent receipt, CRSC will not be phased in over ten years. Once a military retiree has been determined to be qualified they will receive their regular retirement pay plus an additional sum based on their VA disability rating.

Note: CRSC is relatively new legislation, and was recently revised. Many of the policies and procedures are left to the discretion of the parent military branch, and are subject to change in the coming months.

Back to Top

Combat-Related Special Compensation Eligibility

With the inception of the CRSC program on June 1, 2003, the following eligibility requirements were established:

Retirees had to apply to their respective branch of service to be approved for CRSC.

Retirees had to be in receipt of VA compensation.

Retirees had to be in receipt of military retired pay or be in a suspended pay status due to receipt of VA compensation.

Retirees had to have an approved combat-related VA disability rating of 60% or greater.

Retirees having an approved combat-related disability associated with a Purple Heart had to have a rating of 10% or greater.

Retirees had to have 20 years of active service or, for reservists, 7,200 reserve points in order to be eligible.

Effective January 1, 2004, CRSC eligibility was extended to retirees with combat-related VA disability ratings between 10% and 50%.

Additionally, reservists needed only 20 years of qualifying service (supported by documentation from the applicable branch of service such as a 20-year letter, retirement orders or a statement of service) in order to be eligible.

Please note that qualified reservists will not receive CRSC until they begin to receive retired pay at age 60.

Temporary Early Retirement Authorization (TERA) retirees are not eligible to receive CRSC unless they have returned to active duty and accumulated enough service time to meet the 20-year requirement before retiring for the second time.

Click here for the exact wording of this new law.

Back to Top

The Value of the CRSC Benefit:

The following table shows a sampling of how much extra you may get each month based on your VA disability rating.

Combat related VA Disability Rating Monthly CRSC

100% $2,393

90% $1,436

80% $1,277

70% $1,099

60% $873

50% $690

40% $485

30% $337

20% $218

10% $112

Back to Top

The CRSC Application Process:

To receive Combat Related Special Compensation you must submit your application (DD form 2860), through your parent military service branch. Each service branch has the authority to determine your eligibility.

For more information on how to apply contact your parent military service branch:


Department of the Army

U.S. Army Physical Disability Agency

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

200 Stovall Street

Alexandria, Virginia 22332-0470

Toll-free: (866) 281-3254

Hours: 8am - 8pm EST

E-mail your questions to:


Or visit: http://www.crsc.army.mil


Department of Navy Naval Council of Personnel Boards

Combat-Related Special Compensation Branch

720 Kennon Street S.E., Suite 309

Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023

(Toll free 1-877-366-2772)


United States Air Force Personnel Center

Disability Division (CRSC)

550 C Street West, Suite 6

Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4708

(Toll Free 1-866-229-7074)


Commanding Officer (RAS)

U. S. Coast Guard Personnel Service Center

444 SE Quincy St.

Topeka, KS 66683-3591

(toll-free at 1-800-772-8724)

Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about the new Concurrent Receipt and Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) laws.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

0 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

There have been no answers to this question yet

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use