!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
New Donation Option Better for Us and You ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • donate-banner-email-dec-2023.png

Champva

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

My wife and daughter got their Champva cards today and we are trying to figure out if my wife should stop paying for insurance at her job. I now have Champva and Medicare. Do you all think that will be sufficient for my health coverage? Is it sufficient for my wife and daughter as their only covcerage. Does anyone know if you are on Medicare can your child get Medicare coverage also? My wife says it looks like anyone that takes Medicare has to take Champva.

Cavman

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavman

I sort of think that if your other medical insurance is not too great a burden on you that you might keep it. I have BC/BS for me and my wife. She also has ChampVA. I know that ChampVA coordinates well with medicare. The cost of not having the most coverage you can afford can really wipe out a family's savings in a hurry. ChampVA is always the secondary payer, but they pay something. Only if my BC/BS got completely out of sight would I drop it.

Each year insurance goes up, This year John and I paid $8,000 and once he starts recieving Medicare his insurance would have been dropped. I already have Medicare so Once I got the ChampVa card I discussed it with John and we dropped Our other insurance. I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but as far as now it helps the pocket book and it seems to look good on paper but I haven't used it yet, so we will see. But in my opinion Champva is secondary if you have Medicare and Third if you have other Insurance with a child and if your wife is working I would still keep your other Insurance, the premiums come out of your pay check and it should not hurt the pocket book, I would also say it depends on what kind of insurance she has.