VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap Machine

Rate this topic

Guest jstacy

I have been on CPAP for about one and a half years and I would say it does take awhile to get used too but over time if you hang in there you will succeed! I would compare it to getting your first pair of dentures of which you thought you would never get used too. Good luck and hang in there it only gets better. :lol:

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My husband just recently was put on a Bipap machine. This is different in that there are two air flows (in and out) instead of just one like the Cpap machine. His is set at 14 breathing in and 7 breathing out. They also gave him a humidifier that hooks up to the machine for moisture. He is currently on just a full nose mask. Only can keep it on a couple of hours a night, then takes it off. I stay on him about it, hoping he will not quit. I think if he gives it time, he may be able to get use to it. The mask also irritates his face because he has such dry skin and itching. He may have to try the nasal pillows if the mask doesn't work.

While we were both in the office, I had them to explain to him that sleep apnea can cause death. My husband has always said that that you cannot die from it. I am also hoping that this statement will keep him using it. Don't want to scare anyone here, but this is the reality of this problem.

My son knows several firefighters who have sleep apnea and have a Cpap machine. (My son is a firefighter, invesigator, EMT and cardiac tech) He has told his dad that while it took them a while to adjust to theirs, they now never leave home without it. For the veterans who have PTSD and other sleep problems, it may take longer. I'm sure it will for my husband. But just hang in there. This machine can only be of a great benefit to you.

Bev.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev; Have your hubby read this article,  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/foot...dies.r/?cnn=yes

I have both sleepapnea and sarcoid, but sleep apnea is enough to kill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rich,

Thanks for this link. The guy in prosthetics told him about this football player passing away due to possible sleep apnea, but I didn't know where to find the article.

Thanks again.

Guest VetWife Advocate
Pete53:  I'm surprised with a panic disorder, that you can even wear the D$%! thing.  My brother was put on one and he became to claustrophobic to wear one for any amount of time.

He had to opt for a surgical remedy,  It seam to work for him, but it is not for everyone.

I don't have sleep apnea, but I do have hypoxia or low oxygen saturation when in REM sleep.  It used to be that I needed O2 when I was sleeping and was hooked up with a O2 condenser and canula.  Resently I have had worsening of my lung problems and now use O2 24/7 so when I'm not hooked up to my O2 condenser, I carry a tank and regulater to feed my canula.  It irritates my sinusus to no end, I'm constantly either stopped up or my nose is constantly running. 

I'm always hanging it up on something and it pulls on my nose, some days I wish I didn't wear glasses, because my nose hurts so bad.  I can sympathise with you and your problems but my Dr and yours has probably told you with out it you are a good candidate for a stroke.  I believe him, so I will put up with the discomfort.  I hope you give it time, the body tend to surprixe you on how well it will compensate for noise and such.

Good luck, give it your best try, before throwing in the towel.

Jim S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest VetWife Advocate
That's a good question. I have had one for two weeks and I feel like it smothers me. I usually use it an hour or two and have the full face mask. Maybe they need to back off on the pressure. They have me set at 12.

Good luck I am determined to keep working at it I will have to make a co pay each month fo about 15 bucks and another 80 dollars for the initial set up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JIM, You might want to see about using a heated humidifier with your CPAP machine. When I don't use the humidifier, it feesl like a really bad sinus infection. Also, make sure you clean it as advised and use ?water.

Also, Joe is using a Bipap, not a cpap. The bipa is much easier to use. He had no problem except he started to snore again as he was breathing through his mouth. Now he has a FULL face mask which really helps!! Sometimes, he "fogets" to put it back on from a nighttime bathroom break and he starts snoring and wakes me up!!

The bipap is really nice if you can use it!! Might want to ask about it!! And make sure you use the Heated humidifier!!

Brenda

How much fun is THIS!!!

I eliminate the night time bathroom with the bed side urinal!! Again the Ayr saline gel is a lifesaver for me. I can micro my nasal pillows (they are rubber) in water. The face mask gets an alcohol spray every morning, it is dried out when I wipe it and use it at night. I too use a heater in the winter, but I switched my water bath to the oxygenator feed line. I added a velcro strap to my head gear (my wife calls it my helmet), but the extra strap goes under my chin laterally to give an extra pull on the mask at the bridge of my nose.