VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Provided Cigarettes

Rate this question

emmak

Question

B) Yesterday I ask my husband if he remembered getting small packs of cigarettes in his individual meal packages. He said yes, in fact he told me also about sea rations where the GI's also got cartons of cigarettes. All brands were given out for free. I don't believe this is done today but I question how the VA can refuse payment because of smoking in the military. My husband is a Vietnam vet and he went into the Army at the age of 17. A non smoker until then spending nine years in the Army. He left the military a smoker and continued smoking another 6 years then quit. That was 35 years ago.

To me the fact that the GI's were given cigarettes for free with meals tells me that the military actually supported cigarette smoking. I sure would like to hear what all of you think about this I recentlly found out that my husband has scaring, plurel infusions on his lungs. AO,asbestos or cigarettes. I don't know. B)

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ham and lima beans sound good, but in 1970 when I opened my first c rats od green can it looked like smashed meat cake. I thought hell with that I traded the meat cake for a pack of 4 cigs. US Army 1970-1977

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of the PX and BX sold cigs dirt cheap. I think they were sold for about 10 cents a pack when I was in and no taxes either. Booze was also cheap and easy to get.

Technically a 17 year old is a minor and would be the responsibility of the Military in my opinion.

Pete you are so right about 17 and cheap cigs and booze. I was 17 and when I got out of basic training I when to Ft. Eustis Va for ait. Cigs were 10 cents a pack in 1970. Also in the barricks I went to buy a soda in the soda machien and i saw a button for shlitz beer. I though this can't be right but i put my quarter in and pressed the shlitz button and I'll be damned I got a beer for 25 cents. That was the start of my love for beer. As far as cigs and booze goes the government was and is the pusherman. Remember the song God Da_n the pusherman well he is Uncle Sammy. I think Uncle Sammy should pay up for all the countless lives he ruined!

another Vietnam Veteran here who remembers the smokes in them c-rations. At that time thank goodness for the smokes, was the only way to calm down in the boonies. Since I started smoking in the military in 1968 I finally managed to quit March 2004, and it has been smoke free since then. I want to thank the VA for their smoke stop classes, they work but mentally you need to be ready.

Damn I miss that ham and well you know what it was called. Remember trading the pound cake, fruit cup c-rations etc.

I appreciate all the replys. I just have a problem with the military providing cigarettes and alcohol or beer then refusing to take responsiblity for their actions. In the 50,s and 60's my brother-in-law would bring C rats home when he was on leave. I was a teenager and thought they were the neatest thing around.As I remember, the food was in cans rather than pouches. To this day my husband carries the little can opener in his wallet.

I remember getting free smokes from the hospital ward, as a medic we got a monthly ration and some would always disapear near payday.Also the donut dollies woulg give out packs of smokes and other stuff. My favorite c ration was the cinamon swirl cakes and the cookies. Dont much care for those things you add water to and then get your hands burned.

I also remember the NCO club when the bell rang any was either free beer or two fers. My all time favorrite is SOS on toast with a fried egg on the top

Arch