VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P

Rate this question

mssoup1

Question

I have a couple of questions concerning 2 c & P my husband had.

The first was for erectile dysfunction. While I am trying to explain that he did not have this problem until he started taking medication for his PTSD, the examiner jumped down my throat and told me that he really didn't care what he had taken in the past. Any medication which would have caused this that he had previously taken would have corrected the ED problem shortly after being taken off that medication. He told me he only wanted to talk about what he was taking now. I told him that I should know better than anyone else when and why this problem occured since I am married to him. For some, maybe the ED problem does clear up after being taken off the medication, but his did not. I told him that medical record after medical record showed that he was constantly being warned of the side affect of ED with the medication that they would try him on. Before he took my husband back to examine him, he hugged and apoligized to me for screaming at me. I teared up and told him he didn't understand how this problem has affected us. I guess this is a quick denial for us, and I sure did not appreciate the way I was treated by him.

The next C & P was for hypertension. When I told the examiner that his blood pressure was normal on entering the military and was 130/90 at separation, she told me that the diastolic number 90 was not considered abnormal during the year of 1969. I also told her that the doctor that he stopped seeing the doctor he had been seeing since he left the military and started seeing another doctor. He had his records transferred to this doctor. We could not get the records from the first doctor because they stated they had been purged, but the doctor he transferred to wrote in his record that "his BP was elevated - has been up x yrs for diastolic - seen by Dr. .... years ago for this." This note was written in 1990. He also has been on blood pressure medication for years. We also have a record from 1977 from the VAMC that showed his blood pressure was 150/100 and diagnosed with hypertension. I also thought that the examiner was to give the veteran 3 separate blood pressure readings. She gave him one sitting and one lying down. When we inquired about the third reading, she said that she was going to use 2 from previous visits to the doctor. So, I guess this is another denial.

Anyone have any input on these issues which may help.

Thanks

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"They also stated that they wanted the examiner to state whether the hypertension is etiologically related to his service, or was present within one year of his discharge therefrom. The examiner should also provide an opinion as to whether it is at least as likely as not that the hypertension was caused or chronically worsened by the veterans service conncted PTSD."

When you get a copy of the actual hypertension C & P report- if these issues were not addressed you can sure challenge it-

I wonder if the examiner was fully aware of this remand and that the VA had to comply-

Did your husband file any claim at all immediately after discharge for hypertension?

Hypertension is addressed post service within the first year of separation. If No readings of Hypertension, the VA has a loophole and they use the word compensable. That means they can deny the claim even if the veteran had diastilic blood presssure readings of 99 and get away with it unless there is a medical opinion linking HTN to service.ALso the readings must have been taken on 3 different days. 100 is compoensable. I had to learn this the hard way. Fortunatly the Doctor who diagnosed my htn post service ( 6 months after I got out) is now a disability attorney. You need personal doc opinion HTN occurred in service.