VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adderall And Ritalin For Your Kids

Rate this topic

Guest JACKNCOKE

Jack,

Your cool.

Just try to put everything into the context of veterans health concerns.

PTSD is a rather strange and unusual animal.

Many of us here already have VA-related PTSD.

My blood pressure goes sky high every time I talk to any VA employee regardless of the reason or outcome, a well documented fact.

You shoulda incorporated your last post into the first, in the first place, and avoided any misunderstandings.

FYI.

If the VA won't supply it, most veterans can't afford to buy it from the private sector either.

sledge

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to come down on Jack's side on this one. Adderall and Ritalin are said to be the most overprescribed drugs in the country

Agreed. I think it's actually a good test for a med doctor for folks with PTSD (if you have young kids). If you go into the psych for your kid and he wants to start giving out meds for something like ADHD, then say no thank you and move on to a new doctor. A "good" psychiatrist should be giving the absolute minimal therapeutic dose of medications, be it for an adult with PTSD or a kid that is hyper.

Actually, I just recently took my son in because I'm afraid he is prone to anxiety issues like his mom. He has been having mild panic attacks in anxious situations (his heart rate went through the roof at a physical because he thought the doctor wouldn't clear him for football). So, I took him to my wife's psychiatrist and the psych basically said that it is probably due to hormonal changes (normal for an 11 year old) and he *could* outgrow it. He gave me a PRN script for ativan for the attacks, but said I really don't need to use it unless I think he's having a really severe attack and cannot calm down. He also said that most ADD cases are just kids being kids and that it is more likely a developmental part of one's autonomy and NOT a mental disorder....needless to say, this psych doesn't give out meds to kids very often and he specializes in child psychiatry.

So, as I've said in other threads, if you don't like how your psychiatrist is prescribing meds, fire his/her butt and find someone that's willing to work with *YOU* (general you, not husker in particular:-)

Guest JACKNCOKE
Agreed. I think it's actually a good test for a med doctor for folks with PTSD (if you have young kids). If you go into the psych for your kid and he wants to start giving out meds for something like ADHD, then say no thank you and move on to a new doctor. A "good" psychiatrist should be giving the absolute minimal therapeutic dose of medications, be it for an adult with PTSD or a kid that is hyper.

Actually, I just recently took my son in because I'm afraid he is prone to anxiety issues like his mom. He has been having mild panic attacks in anxious situations (his heart rate went through the roof at a physical because he thought the doctor wouldn't clear him for football). So, I took him to my wife's psychiatrist and the psych basically said that it is probably due to hormonal changes (normal for an 11 year old) and he *could* outgrow it. He gave me a PRN script for ativan for the attacks, but said I really don't need to use it unless I think he's having a really severe attack and cannot calm down. He also said that most ADD cases are just kids being kids and that it is more likely a developmental part of one's autonomy and NOT a mental disorder....needless to say, this psych doesn't give out meds to kids very often and he specializes in child psychiatry.

So, as I've said in other threads, if you don't like how your psychiatrist is prescribing meds, fire his/her butt and find someone that's willing to work with *YOU* (general you, not husker in particular:-)

Here is a free PDF report with a DR about ADHD... Stuff I didnt know about the drugs....

I'm glad I'm not on the drugs, and wouldnt put my kids on them either after reading it ... Just my feeling about those "conditions"

http://www.truthpublishing.com/fredbaughma...df-cat21387.htm