VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wannabee Vet

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Courtesy Mike Harris: (PS-my opinion only- but I would not want him near my husband's grave at all)

"Fake vet sentenced to tend military graves at Tahoma

By MIKE BARBER

P-I REPORTER

For pretending that he was a decorated U.S. military veteran, 59-year-old Reggie L. Buddle of Puyallup must tend to the graves of those who really were.

Reggie L. Buddle of Puyallup, standing in the khaki shirt, during the 2006 opening ceremony for the Washington State Senate. (Photo provided by U.S. Attorney's office)

U.S. Magistrate Kelly Arnold in U.S. District Court in Tacoma on Monday sentenced the counterfeit Vietnam vet to two years' probation and 500 hours laboring at Tahoma National Cemetery for posing as a decorated U.S. Marine captain and military chaplain in 2005 and 2006.

Buddle, who never was in the Marine Corps, plead guilty in April to unlawful wearing of U.S. military medals and decorations. That followed an investigation by the inspector general of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

After the hearing, Buddle, who served two years as an Army enlisted man but never in combat and never earning any of the medals he wore, apologized in court Monday and said he was ashamed, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Seattle.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ron Friedman said such cases, which have been growing nationwide since Congress passed stiffer measures 18 months ago against pretending to be a member of the armed forces, were researched to recommend an appropriate sentence.

"In this case, we thought it was a good idea to teach him what true service is like," Friedman said.

When Buddle begins serving those who rest at the national military cemetery in Kent, he must avoid any interaction with families of veterans.

"The court expressed concern that he not be allowed to participate in any funerals or counseling sessions or any other type of matters at the cemetery. That was part of his underlying crime; it was clear he will be there to supply labor," Friedman said.

Though Buddle was never an ordained chaplain or reverend, nor authorized by state law to act in any such capacity, he officiated at servicemen's funerals, weddings and baptisms.

Friedman said state statutes were researched and found to protect the legitimacy of marriages in such instances.

Buddle even hoodwinked the state Senate.

On Feb. 27, 2006, dressed in a Marine Corps uniform replete with the rank and medals he awarded himself, Buddle stood before the Senate and gave the prayer at the opening ceremony. Not everyone was so certain that Buddle was the real item. Doubters called authorities, who began investigating.

Among the unearned medals and service decorations with which Buddle festooned his uniform were those for valor and service in Vietnam; a Combat Action Ribbon authorized for wear by those who have fought enemy forces; a Presidential Unit Citation ribbon, issued to members of units that displayed extraordinary heroism under fire; and the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, a high-ranking medal authorized for "extraordinary" contribution to national defense.

Real Marines and their families seemed satisfied with the sentence.

Bert Rutan, 84, retired pastor at University Congregational Church in Seattle and a Marine who in 1945 received the Silver Star for his actions on Iwo Jima, called the sentence "a fair thing. It has to be publicly known that (posing as a member of the armed forces) is not something you can do."

In Snohomish, Brian and Shellie Starr, whose son, Marine Cpl. Jeff Starr, was killed in combat in Iraq on Memorial Day 2005, said the sentence is appropriate.

"I'm glad they nailed him," Brian Starr said.

"I think for someone to impersonate somebody who has done this voluntarily, with the potential for risk of life, is terrible."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/325655...ource=rss"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

thanks I learned in basic if they wanted us to KNOW what was going on they would have told us lol you know how we always remembered our drill sergeants and they never remembered us, we only had 2 drills and a top drill they had 50 trainees at Fort Lewis in 1980 I went to a recruiter briefing as a SSG the E8 giving the briefing had been one of my drill sergeants at Fort Ord in Basic A-3-1 anyway he remembered me and I asked him how and he reminded me of the day he asked me for a light for a cigarette and I had one of those NEW Bic lighters in my pocket with the adjustable flame he cupped it and burnt off half his mustache and his right eyebrow he remembered me boy did he remember me lol I didn't put in for recruiter duty either I volunteered for the new National Training Center at Fort Irwin instead went there and became a platoon sergeant

In the early 60s the 101st had there jump school at Ft. Campbell, and the 82nd had their's at at Bragg'

Not long after I finished jump school I came home on leave. My best friend was in the Marines, but we always tried to coordinate our leaves. We live in a small town of about 5000 people.

We were both in our civvies walking down the street. We seen a Paratrooper coming towards us. as he got closer I noticed his all American shoulder patch, and then as he got even closer I couldn't believe my eyes. He had buck sergeant stripes on his sleeve, and Major leaves on his collar.

My friend and I just stared at each other not believing what we were looking at. I vaguely knew this guy and knew we joined around the same time.

My buddy grinned at me and said thank God, hes not a Marine so hes all yours.

Well he was out of uniform so it was every soldiers duty to correct it. I ask him what the hell he thought he was doing dressed like that. The dummy looked me right in the eyes and told me he was a Sargent Major.

Its really funny looking back. I told him He was out of uniform and correct his dress or I would. If you can believe this, he pulled out a Tom Mix pocket knife. That's right a Tom Mix pocket knife, Which I promptly took from him and set on his chest and cut off his strips and then removed his Major cluster.

By this time he was filthy so that made him still out of uniform, so I took his shirt and tie and boots. By then he looked exactly like what he was, a big dumb hillbilly.

Just as I was finishing up the chief of Polic drove up and wanted to know what was going on. I told him, and he ask if he could have his cloths. The kid ask him if he could have his close back. ( I'll never forget what the chief's reply was) Hell no , You are just lucky these nice gentleman got to you before I did.

I found out later He was retired army.

True as God as my witness kkp

In the early 60s the 101st had there jump school at Ft. Campbell, and the 82nd had their's at at Bragg'

Not long after I finished jump school I came home on leave. My best friend was in the Marines, but we always tried to coordinate our leaves. We live in a small town of about 5000 people.

We were both in our civvies walking down the street. We seen a Paratrooper coming towards us. as he got closer I noticed his all American shoulder patch, and then as he got even closer I couldn't believe my eyes. He had buck sergeant stripes on his sleeve, and Major leaves on his collar.

My friend and I just stared at each other not believing what we were looking at. I vaguely knew this guy and knew we joined around the same time.

My buddy grinned at me and said thank God, hes not a Marine so hes all yours.

Well he was out of uniform so it was every soldiers duty to correct it. I ask him what the hell he thought he was doing dressed like that. The dummy looked me right in the eyes and told me he was a Sargent Major.

Its really funny looking back. I told him He was out of uniform and correct his dress or I would. If you can believe this, he pulled out a Tom Mix pocket knife. That's right a Tom Mix pocket knife, Which I promptly took from him and set on his chest and cut off his strips and then removed his Major cluster.

By this time he was filthy so that made him still out of uniform, so I took his shirt and tie and boots. By then he looked exactly like what he was, a big dumb hillbilly.

Just as I was finishing up the chief of Polic drove up and wanted to know what was going on. I told him, and he ask if he could have his cloths. The kid ask him if he could have his close back. ( I'll never forget what the chief's reply was) Hell no , You are just lucky these nice gentleman got to you before I did.

I found out later He was retired army.

True as God as my witness kkp

Whow, that is a great story and I am glad you both did what you did!!!

I wonder how some of these "#@%$&" (insert your words)would dress as a LT Gen or a MAJ Gen!

After I had about 18 years in the service, I was home on leave. I ran inot one of my old buddies who had joined the army, but had not even made it through basic training. He evidently did not know that I knew about that, because as we were talking he started telling me a story about his service at Fort Knox. The strange thing was as I sat there listening to the story, I began to recognize it. All the things that he was saying had happened to me. Evidently, he had heard the story that I had originally told from someone else, but had not hear who it happened to. Anyway, after he finished the story, I looked at him and said, wow, that is quite an adventure. He replied that it was, at which point I said it is a shame that while it happened it did not happen to you. I proceeded to tell him the whole story and call him out on his fabrication. The worst part to me was that he had not finished basic because of a bonafide training accident and he has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

That is sad. While I was stationed at Ft. Bragg I was picking up one of my roomates at the local airport. We just happen to run into on of the guys in our unit who was not Airborne Qualified wearing Jumpmaster Wings on his Class A's. I think he was headed home to see his family. We made him take them off right there in front of us. I reported him to the 1SG. He got an Article 15 for that. The entire Unit treated him like crap after that. We never let it die.