VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rec'd "reply Needed" Letter From Va Today

Rate this question

rway

Question

The good thing is that I have finally recieved something, meaning they have not lost my claim. The letter states that they are working on my application for; Then it list all my SC disabilitis, then adds they are working to service connect for depression secondary to your service connections and ptsd. (I agree with all of this)

My question is, the next paragraph states that THEY are amending my claim to include cerebellar gait(secondary to Meniere's Disease) and GAD as well as increased service connected compensation based on individual unemployablility(IU). It states "This letter deals only with these three issues newly claimed issues.

They say, please submit medical evidence on your current cerebellar gait disability as well as evidence showing a connection between your cerebellar gait disability and your service connected Meniere's Disease.

And they need evidence showing that the following conditions existed from military services to the present time: Cerebellar gait and GAD

My question is Cerebellar gait is a symptom of Meniere's and GAD is a symptom of my PTSD...right?? It looks like they want to rate these separately??? And maybe it has to do with the date for IU??? Any help would be appreciative. I've been out of the Service since 1998.

Thanks RWAY

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They say, please submit medical evidence on your current cerebellar gait disability as well as evidence showing a connection between your cerebellar gait disability and your service connected Meniere's Disease.
 My Primary Doctor has been trying everything to help me. I have tried every medication under the table for this. My main complaint is VERTIGO, DAILY and 2/3 Drop attacks weekly!! I have been to the VA Nuerologist, and ENT. In fact, I have been seeing them so routinely, they are like family. They are now talking about operating.

rway,

You are already Service Connected for the Meniere'

Do you have a medical opinion from your ENT doctor or Neurologist that your " walking like you are drunk" ( Gait) and " falling all over the floor" ( drop attacks) is connected to your Meniere'?

We both know that these are symptoms of the illness, but the rater or DRO may not.

Not too many people have this illness, so many do not know too much about its' crippling effect.

Do you have this evidence to hand deliver to the VA. ?

If not, get a letter from both doctors immediately and deliver, date stamped copy to the VA.

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Josephine,

Yes, I am 30% SC for Meniere's. But, I looked at my award letter for the 30% and it stated that for a higher rating I must have a cerebellar gate. Then if you look at the 100% rating for Meniere's: Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus.

The only thing is, for some reason they want me to LINK it to Meniere's and show them that I had it back in 1998. (which I did, but I did not have it more than once a week) (And if I had any evidence of that, I would have been rated 100% back then???)

I am currently waiting on my recent copy's of my records from my visits to my ENT and Primary. At both appt. I had gait problems, but not sure they wrote in that they are from Meniere's. I did not know I had to go that far into depth with these people.

I am afraid they are considering that I may be I/U because of Gait problems and GAD, becuase I have a laymans letter that was sent stating they seem me back in 2004 with these symptoms at a temp job.

So does this mean, I have to go to my Psych. Doc and ask him to clearify my Anxiety symptoms and link them to PTSD or Depression???

If I do not link them, I feel they will say that these two items are the cause that I am unable to work? Can they do this?

• HadIt.com Elder

So does this mean, I have to go to my Psych. Doc and ask him to clearify my Anxiety symptoms and link them to PTSD or Depression??? 

If I do not link them, I feel they will say that these two items are the cause that I am unable to work? Can they do this?

What do you feel is the illness for which you cannot work?

Is it the Meniere' with the falling all over the floor and the attacks of vertigo and all the other good things that come with this illness?

Let me ask you, as this may be something that you may have not thought of. Can you place on foot in front of the other one and walk a straight line without loosing your balance and fallen of the line? You cannot use your arms to balance you.

If you can't, show your doctor.

You mentioned depression from your Psychaitrist. What kind of medication does he have you on for your depression?

My attack would be to call your doctor for the Meniere' and ask him to write you a letter explaining how your Meniere' is impacting your life with the vertigo and the gait problems, and how at present you are having attacks no less than 3 times a week. If he is leaning towards surgery, you definitely have it as bad as I do. This would get you the 100% that you need for this illness, which is already service connected.

I would also secure a letter from your psychaitrist connecting your depression to your present service connected PTSD.

I would work at getting total disability for both illness as the two are service connected illness.

Hope that this helps you.

As you said " you have not been able to work for two years.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine