Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

New Person With Questions

Rate this question

snowflakegirl

Question

Hello all...........

I'm having some difficulty with my VSO. Currently I am rated at 30 percent s.c.

I just found out I have sleep apnea I retired 12/31/2003 but just finished second sleep study and issues CPAP. I had sinsus issues (they thought this was my fatigue cause so they did sinuses surgey septoplasty), daytime fatigue, car accident from falling asleep and all that while on active duty but some are missing from my medical record......any guidance on getting that s.c.

Thyroid, I also just found out I have at least a nodule on it, I probably need to wait for a while on this but how about s.c. on this as well. Was there any connecton with the PGW for these issues?

Any words on Dr. Bash? I used a VSO for my initial claim but he has basically told me not to even try and claim my sleep apnea issue, I have not discussed the Thyroid as we are still testing.

Also, can I file without my VSO or will I end up being screwed over?

Two more questions. What is the C-file, would it be wise of me to get one, and how do I do this?

How do I get a copy of my Enlisted Medical Record?

Thank you and I appreciate your time and assistance........

Bless our brave warriors of the world!

Edited by snowflakegirl

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Snowflake girl-

I always think it is best bet to have a vet rep-

but to check everything they do and become proactive with your claim-

could any issue you have now be secondary to the 30%-you didnt mention what that was for?

I am surprised the rep was negative on the sleep apnea claim-

guess he didnt want to take the time to file it-you can file for anything that potentially was due to your service.

If the car accident in service was documented as due to fatique or sleep problems this could certainly bolster a sleep apnea claim.

If the sleep apnea was not diagnosed at all in service, would any of your service buddies be able to write buddy statements as to your fatique problems and also if you snored very loudly- which could be symptomatic of apnea?

This site gives a lot of info too as to PGW vets:

http://www.gulfweb.org/bigdoc/selfhelp.cfm

The c file- write to your VARO and ask for a copy of your complete c file-

SMRs and military personnel records-

Go to NARA:

http://www.archives.gov/

Click on the Military Records link and fill out the SF 180-

you will need to print off the bar coded thing, sign it, copy it, and mail it to where the site says to-

It takes about 4 weeks to get the records.

VA Medical records-

write to the Records access officer at the VAMC that treats you and request a copy of all of your VA medical records.

Dont cite the FOIA, it will take longer.

Put your c file number on any requests for med recs or the c file.

Dr. Bash- he provided me with two excellent separate and thorough medical opinions-

one prior to VA getting a expert's opinion and one that totally knocked down the VA expert with complete medical rationale.

Dr. Bash service connected my husbands death to Agent Orange and DMII.

VA had "as if" sced Rod's death because they admitted to VA malpractice.

There is no honor in an "as if" award - a death caused by VA.

Dr. Bash gave Rod Peace with Honor-he fully supported my AO death claim using the MRIs, autopsy and all available clinical records and VA OGC statements from the DC medical team.

I await a proper award from VA that not only does the same thing- but it will be the only proper diagnosis from VA that Rod ever got.

I have never regretted the expense of these IMos.

A good IMO that fulfills the IMO criteria (which Dr. Bash fully covers in his IMOs)is in my opinion, an investment into obtaining potential retro that will reimburse the initial IMO fee.

I also had provided to VA considerable other medical documentation that supported my claim in addition to the 2 IMos from Dr. BAsh and I obtained a bery probative statement from a former VA neutrologist who treated Rod- as to the claim for undiagnosed diabetes from AO.

Is the 30% for the sinus issues and the surgery?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Snow:

Welcome to Hadit and answering questions from new Members makes this Board happy. First of all your VSO sounds like an idiot. If you have military records that show you had symptoms in the Military you should not have to much trouble getting rated for it. Its a bear but there is a fix.

I have it not service connected but I was given a CPAP Machine which has almost solved the problem 100%. No snoring, I have almost no allergy problems anymore and when I wake up my mouth is not like the bottom of a birdcage. I did get a CPAP that includes a humidifier..

If you are using Dr Bash he has an excellent reputation.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Berta and Pete53,

Thanks much.

Berta, I hope all is well with you and best wishes, keep it going GIRL.

I guess to start my VSO is a POW pilot with an attitude but that is my opnion......I have heard wonderful stories about other VSO's.

Is there somewhere you can find a list of conditions that can be secondary or is it basically just doing research to see if Asthma can cause high blood pressure?

I am rated for Lumbar strain, GERD and High blood pressure. Although from my car accident I did get a diviate septum which I only was rushed to the Naval Hospital examed and let go, however, I do remember telling them I fell asleep and they of course did the blood tests to ensure there was no substances in my system. The VA denied my deviated septum because I don't have any records of being diagnosed with a deviated septum. I don't understand in some ways because my entry physcial did not have it but prior to my septoplasty surgery on active duty they did annotate that.

Sleep Apnea, I'm not sure if this will fly but I can have a few people I lived with outside of the military write me some statements, not sure exactly what they need to write. It's kind of sad because my friend is a nurse and told me I have the sleep apnea my doctor didn't do anything until I told him I fell alseep driving and wala it was discovered.

With my GERD, I also was just diag with "Eary" barretts Esphogus disease, is it worth sending that in and how do I find the symptoms I need to have?

I did see on the PGW website that most of the common symptoms are of possible thyroid issues and they did list thyroid disfunction as most of them and the VA neurophysc did not diag me but said my symptoms were in common with PGW complaints in the DMII, I think. Most of those links on the PGW site are broken. I did enroll in the PGW registry and was to have follow up tests completed but nobody ever contacted me. After seeing thyroid issues are on there I will try to find out some information.

Snowflake girl-

could any issue you have now be secondary to the 30%-you didnt mention what that was for?

guess he didnt want to take the time to file it-you can file for anything that potentially was due to your service.

If the car accident in service was documented as due to fatique or sleep problems this could certainly bolster a sleep apnea claim.

If the sleep apnea was not diagnosed at all in service, would any of your service buddies be able to write buddy statements as to your fatique problems and also if you snored very loudly- which could be symptomatic of apnea?

Go to NARA:

you will need to print off the bar coded thing, sign it, copy it, and mail it to where the site says to-

VA Medical records-

write to the Records access officer at the VAMC that treats you and request a copy of all of your VA medical records.

Dr. Bash- he provided me with two excellent separate and thorough medical opinions-

one prior to VA getting a expert's opinion and one that totally knocked down the VA expert with complete medical rationale.

Dr. Bash gave Rod Peace with Honor-he fully supported my AO death claim using the MRIs, autopsy and all available clinical records and VA OGC statements from the DC medical team.

I await a proper award from VA that not only does the same thing- but it will be the only proper diagnosis from VA that Rod ever got.

A good IMO that fulfills the IMO criteria (which Dr. Bash fully covers in his IMOs)is in my opinion, an investment into obtaining potential retro that will reimburse the initial IMO fee.

I also had provided to VA considerable other medical documentation that supported my claim in addition to the 2 IMos from Dr. BAsh and I obtained a bery probative statement from a former VA neutrologist who treated Rod- as to the claim for undiagnosed diabetes from AO.

Hi,

Imagine this, I called the VA and the PGW Vet line and nobody has my PGW registery information on file.........but the VA did set me up with another PGW exam.

Snowflake girl-

Go to NARA:

VA Medical records-