VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lung Cancer

Rate this question

rway

Question

My husband has been diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer since Nov 06. He only smoked 3 years while he was in the Navy. He spent those 3 years on the USS Lester from Jul 1959- Jul 1962. The rest of his working career was with the Depart. of Defense working for the Air Force, now retired (1995). He is enrolled with the VA, but has never filed for any service connections. Is there a chance that we could win a claim for service-connection for his cancer?

Thanks rway

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

HI I'm far from an expert but I would look into any service off shore inj Vietnam as Agent Orange has been a serious problem for lung cancer and is a disease considered to be cause of soft cell carcenoma go to the AO portion if VA.GOV

The USS Lester ,a Dealy class 1022, served in 1962 -during Operation Unitas off the coast of Trinidad and Brazil as part of multi-country training exercises that were cut short by the Cuban Missile crisis.

I could not find the ship serving in waters in the Pacific that would be close to Vietnam during the time the AO was used in Vietnam.

Thanks for all the great replies and Berta for doing research on the ships location during that time frame.

Today, we had a call from the Home Base Primary Care, they want to have a consultation with us. I am not sure exactly how they will be able to help, but I know my VA mental health physician called them. My husband has been in denial of even having the cancer. He has had all the radiation treatments that he can have, and is now only doing Chemo. He believes, he can beat it, God Bless Him. His doctor is terrible, he hasn't told him anything about his cancer. Although, my husband, doesn't ask and doesn't want me to either. I know only be researching on the internet. He on the other hand doesn't use the computer at all. I am hoping the Home Base Care will help with this situation.

RWAY

rway I have a similar diagnosis I have had my lung cancer move to my brain and my adrenal gland and I too have had all the radiation just chemo as well if he needs someone to talk to I'd be glad to sometimes it's a help to find out you're not alone in the struggle so let me know if I can help ed6853@yahoo.com

ED

RWAY -

I guess my advice is two-fold.

As for the hope issue. Your husband's attitude for beating the cancer is one of the strongest medicines he can have right now.

My husband had that kind of attitude. My husband died this Febraury, so he didn't "beat it" overall. But he beat it a long time; much longer than anyone thought he would. They only expected him to live a few weeks to a few months in June 2004. He pulled back and lived - not just stayed alive - but really lived - for several years. And he was only really "sick" for a short time before he died.

My husband was one of those stubborn ones too. He stayed "full code" until the last day of his life. But then HE decided to stop fighting. He told me he still had the will to live - but didn't have the strength anymore - and asked if it was okay for him to go.

So I am not sure if it is denial - or just a focused will to survive. Yes, they don't like to talk about the "waht if's" much. It is almost like they think that if they even consider those things - they will bring them upon themselves.

And yes, it is hard for those of us who will be left behind if the "what ifs" happen to not be able to talk about them - or feel like we are not being "supportive" if we do.

I do know my husband thought about those things much more than he let on. And we talked about them some. He had started making plans, and gave me the song "If tomorrow never comes will she know how much I love her" several months before he died.

Here is a good link for an organization whose sole purpose is to help people with cancer survive.

http://www.blochcancer.org/

One of the things they talk about is getting a multi-discliplinary "second opinion." They have resources where you can arrange to meet with a whole panel of experts to discuss the best options for your cancer treatment. They all belong to one medical center - but all work from a different approach - so you get the broad spectrum of ALL the things that can be tried - not just a focused approach from ONE direction.

On a practical note - as far as the VA is concerned - I would encourage you to have your husband file an Informal Claim. Get a letter to the VA and tell them you want to file a claim for his cancer - and protect the filing date. That way, if he gets approved for Service Connection - they can pay back to the date of the claim.

If you wait until you have ALL the evidence - you can lose several months from the claim date.

Also - though I would usually say to wait until you get it all pretty well together to send in the evidence - because the VA is not good at putting together bits and pieces, I would suggest that if you get any strong evidence (Doctor statements, evidence of asbestos exposure, etc.) to go ahead and send it in - and pull it all together later.

That is my suggestion to protect accrued benefits, if they ar granted.

If your husband would die while they are processing his claim. They close his claim. You can reopen it - and file for DIC (survivor) benefits - and also for accrued benefits (benefits that were due to him at the time of his death).

The reason I would suggest sending in any strong evidence as you recive it is that they decide the claim for accured benefits based on what was IN the file at the time the veteran died.

If it wasn't IN the file - you can still send it for DIC claim - but it won't be considered in the accrued benefit claim.

We had quite a bit of evidence about asbestos exposure for my husband's claim. I had it pretty much pulled together - but wanted to wait until I got it ALL pulled together before I sent it in.

I planned to do that during the break from school. Unfortunately, my husband got sick - and caring for him and fighting for his life took precendence at that time.

So we had quite a bit of evidence that was not sent in before his death.

As a practical matter - I know he would have wanted me to take 10 minutes - stuck it in an envelope - and shipped it to the VA - to get it in the file.

But I didn't take the time.I can still submit it - but it might affect the accrued benefits portion of the claim.

And if SC gets granted - I really want it to be granted to HIM, even if it didn't pay more. It's one of those widow things. He deserved it. I want HIM to get it, even if he is not here anymore.

Free

Thanks for all the great replies and Berta for doing research on the ships location during that time frame.

Today, we had a call from the Home Base Primary Care, they want to have a consultation with us. I am not sure exactly how they will be able to help, but I know my VA mental health physician called them. My husband has been in denial of even having the cancer. He has had all the radiation treatments that he can have, and is now only doing Chemo. He believes, he can beat it, God Bless Him. His doctor is terrible, he hasn't told him anything about his cancer. Although, my husband, doesn't ask and doesn't want me to either. I know only be researching on the internet. He on the other hand doesn't use the computer at all. I am hoping the Home Base Care will help with this situation.

RWAY