VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lap Band Or Gastric Surgery For Weight Loss

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Last research I saw on it that it saved the patient and his insurance a lot of money. I can get one at Dallas VA now but a lot of hoops to go through and I don't like the idea of being practiced on.

I will prolly let Medicare HMO do it for me. Besides the Doc Co-Pays my cost will be 100 bucks

Appreciate your response I am just looking and praying to get to the place that I can get off of a lot of the meds I am taking now.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things they don't discuss enough.Do not get a hernia at the incision site,if they do a full incision,you better wear a binder for months.Loose skin,you may wind up with an unpleasant abdominal dewlap that will not go away without surgery.This is considered cosmetic surgery and tough to get sanctioned-a psychiatrist normally has to document it as having serious "body image" issues to get it under insurance or VA radar.I never had it done but I have known some who did.The older you are.the tougher it is to get loose skin to go away.The bassett hound look can dealt with by exercise and time normally.I'm on my 3rd hernia repair,grr.

Pete, Good luck. It took me quite awhile to get clearance from the cardiologist. I had my lap band done in Jan Have lost 35 pounds. Was 301 now 266. Sugars were reading 170 now 130 b/p was 160/110 now 120/90. Medicare paid.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rich T:

Hang in thee that is way I want to go. I made a new appointment with Cardiologist for April 27th as he is not thrilled with Medicare HMO and he really has a busy practice with fills. He is a very confident Doc and he is one who found my blockage in Sept 2006.

I have done everything that they asked my AIC is 7.1 and cholesterol is 131. I weigh 293 and I have to lose at least 60 lbs and 100 would be better if I want to live much longer that is. I have proved that I will do what the Doc orders but I hope and pray that they can do it. The nurse told me that it is taking them up to 6 months cause so many are doing it now.

I am thinking about drinking ensure plus for two meals and seeing if I can drop some weight the old fashioned way. My VA Doc for diabetes keeps telling me that the VA will do it but I don't want someone who is learning I want a good Doc that I know of and can check out before I do it.

I wish that there was some other way and I know that I will have to change my eating habits but I am willing to do that cause I have 3 grand kids and also a beautiful wife who needs me and last of all I want to collect a lot of money from the VA and Social Security.