VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Degenerative Issue

Rate this question

Detonator

Question

Discharged in 1995 with 10% left knee chronic pain. XRAY showed mild sclerosis with a diagnosis of mild degenerative disease. I just had another XRAY and my doctor stated the report showed mild arthritis. The range at the original rating was 0 to 135 degrees. I am considering asking for a rate increase on my left knee due to increased pain. Is there any advice members could give on getting an increase.

Detonator

Edited by Detonator

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Detonator -the Schedule for Ratings is here under a search-

It shows what type of medical evidence warrants higher ratings-

for each disability.

If the arthritis is due to the knee problems- by medical evidence-that is claim for secondary- if the SC knee problem 'aggravates' the knee to cause NSC arthritis that is also service connectable as to the degree that the SC aggravates the NSC.

Do you have feet, hip or back problems or even right knee problems due to the SC left knee?

If a doc can state they are all due to the SC left knee-those additional disabilities can be sced as secondary.

It is not unusual for a vet to have bilateral involvement of two separate but similiar joints-

a SC shoulder for example could make the veteran put more stress in using the right arm to compensate for it- and could actually develop a compensatable disability in the right arm or shoulder due to compensating for the left shoulder SC disability-

It all takes getting a doctor to state these factors in order to prevail on claims like this.

This vet got :

"Entitlement to service connection for arthritis of the left

knee as secondary to a right knee disability is granted"

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files2/0712618.txt

The NSC left knee was SCed as secondary to the SC right knee. It isnt as bizarre as it might sound-

Also if you go to www.va.gov and search under Board of Veterans Appeals decisions- just pop Knee into the search button and these claims will often contain the rating schedules they applied and might help you a lot in developing this claim for SC of the arthritis and any other problems you have due to the SC knee.

Edited by Berta

Hello,

Dennis Rick here,

I was just reading your part about your knee and if you can get it upped please let me know.

I have 10% also. My Rt. Knee is a mess ( got hurt on a jump, A/75th rangers) I have had two surgies on it, it will go straight minus 8 degrees ( not all the way straight) and I can bend it 90 degrees on a good day. I am in constant pain with it. I have put in for a higher percent and got turn down..

The VA Docs say all my muscles, tendons etc are screwed up and my knee is is rubbing the other part. I also wear a strap to lift the knee cap up so it won't rub. The Docs say even with knee replacement it won't help the muscles, tendons etc and I will have the pain forever.

They think some of it might be coming from my back (10% for it also and it was hurt on the same jump) But no VA hosipital in AZ has a back clinic.

So they won't do a knee replacement nor can they help much at all for that matter..no back clinic...

So they dope me up..wanted to put me on mophine, I decline thank you very much, but I do take Vik-o-din muscle relaxers, anti-infam..can't spell it..you know what I mean..serval times a day. 4 times for vik-o-din.

And oh about a year ago I put in for a secondary condition for my feet for while I walk they fall alsleep..ever heard of that? feet going to sleep as you walk..its a funny feeling..well its been a year now and no word on the exam..Rep keeps on them..but..shit I don't know..

I have had to go to a wider shoe in order for me to walk without my feet falling asleep plus inserts ( my gait has change since the two surgies and other things in there to move my nerves around) its a real joy walking....

So let me know how you come out in getting your rate up..I would be very interested..

Hi Dennis,

I will let you know how it goes. I left the Army with a Posterior Cruciate Ligament replacement in the right knee. So I feel your pain! My left knee is what I'm asking the increase for regarding the arthritis. My guess is it will take a while!

Detonator

• HadIt.com Elder

dman001948,Detonator,

Both of you need to get a IMO.......this must come from a ortho doctor.

I left service with a R knee mess..Miniscus tear , anterior Cruciate Ligament....for years the VA low balled me, I wised up and started using a private ortho, I now have a rating of 30% with additional 10% for arthritis, with 10% for ankle, 10% for hip,and a % for Back, not to mention other injuries not due to the knee.

If you have a problem make your doctor connect the dots,the VA will not do it for you as the burden of proof is yours.

• HadIt.com Elder

this must come from a ortho doctor.

I left service with a R knee mess..Miniscus tear , anterior Cruciate Ligament....for years the VA low balled me, I wised up and started using a private ortho, I now have a rating of 30% with additional 10% for arthritis, with 10% for ankle, 10% for hip,and a % for Back, not to mention other injuries not due to the knee.

If you have a problem make your doctor connect the dots,the VA will not do it for you as the burden of proof is yours.