VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

I am seeing a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. I have an open claim for 50% working on TD. The Psychiatrist wrote "Mr. ******** has been under my care for long history of mood disorder and has been complaint with his treatment. He has been suffering from depression and anxiety in addition to his physical condition related to chronic back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and hypertension. He seems to be unable to hold any gainful employment.

Signed, Staff Psychiatrist. I did not use this because you all said the VA would deny because she add back, neck pain which I am not connected for. The Psychologist told me I should be 70 or maybe 100% disabled. I asked for a letter stating this and he told since i had an open claim for TD he could not write such a letter? "It would be inproper"? What say ye all. bill

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Josephine, are you saying depression can cause other pain such as neck, back and so on? You said “provide clinical references", where do I find these?

Some asked about my axis.

1 296.32 Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, chronic.

2 V71.09 No Diagnosis

3 None

4 Psychosocial stressors that may affect the diagnosis prognosis and treatment of axis 1 is social and employment functioning.

5 GAF 55

Well I saw my Psychologist and he made a total turn around, I will not go into details, he did write this

"I am writing in support of Mr. ******* claim for an increase in his service-connected disability benefits because of unemployability due to Major Depressive Disorder. His current psychiatric symptoms include feelings of depression most of the day, nearly every day, anhedonia daily, increased appetite with weight gain, difficulty staying asleep every night; fatigue every day; frequent feelings of worthlessness; diminished ability to concentrate most days and regular thoughts of suicide without intent. These symptoms currently result in complete occupational impairment and marked social impairment". Both of these doctors work at the VA Hospital and that is where I see them. bill

Edited by Billyboy

• HadIt.com Elder

Billyboy,

I read that your psychiatrist states in addition to. I don't read that he is stating that your other illness, which are not service connected are causing the depression and anxiety.

This is my take on this.

I think that by reading your post that your doctor is stating that you are sufering from

1 296.32 Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, chronic.

I don't see that he saying that this depression is caused by your non service connected illnesses.

Do you know what is causing such depression?

Have you filed a claim for " Chronic Depression"?

Yes, indeed in answer to your question, depression can most definitely cause many illnesses such as the pain that you mentioned.

Go to the internet and type in " Chronic Depression" and I believe that you will locate the answer to your question.

Josephine

I don't see that he saying that this depression is caused by your non service connected illnesses.

No doctor has ever said that my depression has cause anything else.

"Do you know what is causing such depression?"

NO, all I know that when I went to my C&P exam said. Had an abusive father and some real problems in service.

Have you filed a claim for " Chronic Depression"?

didn’t know I could file a claim for Chronic depression?

How do you file a claim for Chronic depression when in the Axis 1 it states “296.32 Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, chronic”

Hi Billyboy.

I have been reading your posts...what I see is that you are rated 50% for MDD...at this point your condition has increased in serverity...so have you considered filing for an "increase in rating" due to your condition becoming worse...and you can do that...with supporting letters...the one from your doctor is a solid one...the conditions that she mentioned besides your MDD are conditions that do occur due to MDD and can be secondary to your S/C MDD...it is not uncommon...but more to the normal progression...MDD is a disabiliting condition and will effect most area's of your body systems...stress can cause more problems....then you may know...

but not to get off track...back to requesting an increase in rating for your MDD...have close family memebers write letters as to how your behavior of depression has increased...perhaps you have a close friend or clergy memember who has seen a mark change in your irritability...

in order to receive an increase for you MDD you need to submit evidence of support that it has...In the letters...your family can state how you tend to have outbrust.... uncontroled rage....no desire to take care of your personal hygien...your lack of desire to interact with others...your inability to have a restfull sleep...not wanting to leave your confort zone of your home...that you tend to jump to one subject to another...that you become overwhelmed in everyday routiens...that you can not manage your time...that you are not taking care of paying your bills in a timely manner...that you are obsessive with this claim...

Billyboy...you need to file for an increase to get your MDD rating increased...the next increase level I believe is 70%...if you have not filed for TDUI I would do it at the same time...hope this helps

MT