VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Records

Rate this question

ddj6969

Question

I contacted the VA this week to check on the status of my claim. I was told "We have requested your complete service medical records from the National Personnel Records Center. Once we received your service medical records you will be scheduled for an examination, which you will be notified by the VA medical center as to when and where to report for the exam."

Just wondering if anyone knows what will happen if my service medical records are not available to be sent?

Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

ddj6969,

When did you file your claim? From my experience, it takes the R. O a couple of weeks to receive those records.

Have you requested these records yourself.

You may want to go on line to the St. Louis Archives and ask for your Service Medical Records and ask also for your Personnel Records.

I don't think that the R. O ask for your Personnel records, but as in my case, it sure would have been nice, if someone had requested mine, before I went to the BVA to have them remand me to the AMC to secure them.

If you go on line, you will have to print out the sheet of paper, sign it and fax it to the Archives.

Hope this helps you,

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

James,

It is just my experience, but the VA wants their own copies.

If you claim has been in for some time, the VA should have the copies of your medical records and your personnel records, if the archives state that they do not have them.

The R. O would have to have them.

The archives had copies when they sent them to you, so where else might they be, but at the R. O.

Try to talk to a supervisor and see if they don't have them in their possession.

Josephine

James,

It is just my experience, but the VA wants their own copies.

If you claim has been in for some time, the VA should have the copies of your medical records and your personnel records, if the archives state that they do not have them.

The R. O would have to have them.

The archives had copies when they sent them to you, so where else might they be, but at the R. O.

Try to talk to a supervisor and see if they don't have them in their possession.

Josephine

When your claim is filed, the VSO should use a 180Form and request your 201 file AND SMR service medical files. Either way when the VA gets your C file from St. Louis ask the VA to let you see your C file and the SMR should be in there. Most of the time and the usual VET does not know it. Ask to see the C file and check it out or your VSO can request the file for you. It is yours and you have a right to see the info in it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good advice Bobby.

James, go and look at the c file. They still will ask St Louis to send them the record. That is part of the system. Step 1 is claim received. Step 2 is request service records.