VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appealing A Denial From Ssd

Rate this question

tdak

Question

I am in the process of appealing my denial from the SSA, (Gee just noticed what the acronym is backwards...lol) and I was wondering. Has anyone appealed their date of becoming disabled?

As I started going through my records. I forgot that when I originally applied in 04 and was denied with a disabled date of 02. When I filed in 05, I only used the 04 date because that was my first surgery date and I couldn't actually find my original documents with the date on them. Now I want to appeal the date too. Is this possible?

Thanks,

tamara

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tamara,

I firmly believe that anything is possible. Just explain to Social Security that your illness before and after surgery keeps you confused.

Is this the second time that you have filed for Social Security Disability?

Did I get lost somewhere in the dates?

Can you be just a little more clear.

My niece just called me, the one that recieved her Social Security Disability ( for the same illness) , without surgery, and I have to return her phone call this afternoon.

I will ask her more of how she won her case, so easily.

As I started going through my records. I forgot that when I originally applied in 04 and was denied with a disabled date of 02. When I filed in 05, I only used the 04 date because that was my first surgery date and I couldn't actually find my original documents with the date on them. Now I want to appeal the date too. Is this possible?

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Tamara:

Sure appeal it cause you have to get to an Administrative Judge to fix it anyway.

Good Luck

Pete

Pete and Josephine,

good to hear. I am going to go back as far as I can. I cant find the actual date that I wrote down for the first claim I put in, but it is 02-03 I think. I never appealed that one. Stupid me, but thats what happens when you have brain issues...lol. I am going back to when I stopped working full time and went to work part-time(02), because I only made like 4800 for the entire year max. and that was a good year. I figure that the ALJ will look at it and make his own decision on what date he will figure out. But I did find about 50+ pages of medical records that I am submitting with my appeal, plus my surgical report for my brain surgery and lab reports...I have everything and....they are gonna love me. I am also going to submit the letter awarding me my TDIU P&T. That hopefully will do the trick without an actual hearing. I have been working on this for weeks and my deadline is coming up quick.

Josephine: let me now what your daughter wrote for the Chiari, I cant find anything.

Thanks again,

Tamara :)

• HadIt.com Elder

Tamara.

My niece called me shortly after my post. This is what she told me . She said that her Social Security Disability had a list of all of her medical conditions, and couldn't be sure how the Chiari came into play.

She said they listed : Chiari , Arthritis, Bio-polar

I am not sure about other states, but because of the Virginia Tech shooting in the Spring all in house mental patients are registered at the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Said that she should get herself a handicap tag, but felt guilty, although her MRI of her knee shows that her knee cap is falling apart.

She said that she also didn't want to muddy the water. I ask her what in the heck are you talking about?

I told her not to feel guilty and to get one and use it when it was necesary for her and not to use it when she could walk fine.

She told me today, that when she went for her appointment with her psychologist she used terrible language and showed her behind and He placed her in a mental hospital for 5 days.

She isn't sure, but this may have played a part in her securing her disability so fast.

I wondered why they called and ask her husband if she was capable of handling her finances ?

I try to not nose into others illnesses in the family.

When it comes to mental illness, it is a NO! No! in our family.

We are hidden in the closet.

I would explain to Social Security of your mental status and how your illness is effecting your concentration and your mental status like your thought process, depression, and memory span. Also mention any side effects from your present medication.

Go before the Judge, as you are just as intelligent as he.

Hope this helps.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

It is my understanding that SSA can go back one year from the last application. If you did not file an appeal to the denials in a "timely" manner, they are past history.

I am in the process of appealing my denial from the SSA, (Gee just noticed what the acronym is backwards...lol) and I was wondering. Has anyone appealed their date of becoming disabled?

Thanks,

tamara