VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims File Copy Confusion

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

My congressman's office just called. They told me that I can get a copy of my claims file from the Los Angeles VARO, even tho my claims file is with the AMC in Washington DC. I have heard that the VARO maintains a temporary file, while the working file is with AMC.

I am looking for a Notice of Disagreement that may or may not have been filed in April 1973. My SO has supposely requested a copy of any NOD's filed in 1973 from the VARO. Will this notice only be in the AMC file or could it be at VARO, where it may have been originally filed.

In May, I requested a complete copy of my claims file from AMC.

Should I get a copy of the claims file at the VARO as well as the one at AMC. What will the difference be?

Edited by hurryupnwait

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hurryupnwait,

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I did change my power of attorney over to the National Level of the American Legion today.

There office is located at the AMC and one of their officers is going tomorrow to check on my file and discuss it with the rater.

Just a thought, as I know that you have been at the AMC for a long time.

Josephine

Numerous requests for copies of the contents of my husband's temporary claims file at the regional office have been ignored for the past year. We've used IRIS five or six times, and were told each time someone would contact us or send the copies, but that's never happened.

They use the absence of the claims file as an excuse to let interim claims gather in a temporary claims file without being acted upon. No acknowledgement, no decision, no SOC and no SSOC, because the veteran can't NOD a claim that is still open. I guess a trip to the VARO would solve things, but it's very far away, and frankly, I don't think I can deal with those people face to face.

• HadIt.com Elder

Given the hasle you are having, I would suggest that you get both. This may be a little difficult, unless you can get a Vet Rep, politician, or lawyer involved.

"Should I get a copy of the claims file at the VARO as well as the one at AMC. What will the difference be?"

Hurryupnwait,

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I did change my power of attorney over to the National Level of the American Legion today.

There office is located at the AMC and one of their officers is going tomorrow to check on my file and discuss it with the rater.

Just a thought, as I know that you have been at the AMC for a long time.

Josephine

Hi Josephine

Do you have a contact number for the American Legion in DC? My local SO has stated that he can not get any more information than I can from the AMC.

On Sept 1, 2007, my claim will be 800 days with the AMC and my latest status report via the telephone was that it was in a file room with no one working on it.

I m ready to change my SO.

Thanks

Paul

• HadIt.com Elder

Hurryupnwait,

This may also be your only saving grace. They are located inside the AMC . Here is there telephone number.

1- 202- 530- 9142

they will ask you to go to google.com - In the search box type in VA

when the Va site comes up in the right corner "search" type in 21-22

This is an authorization for them to represent you.

Type in the blanks.

sign and date and fax to :

202 - 530 - 0126

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Hurryupnwait,

This may also be your only saving grace. They are located inside the AMC . Here is there telephone number.

1- 202- 530- 9142

they will ask you to go to google.com - In the search box type in VA

when the Va site comes up in the right corner "search" type in 21-22

This is an authorization for them to represent you.

Type in the blanks.

sign and date and fax to :

202 - 530 - 0126

Josephine

Wow Many Thanks Joesphine

I called the number you gave me and I got a message machine. So I left all the pertinent data. The gentleman at American Legion just called me and told me that he located my file at AMC. It was collecting dust in a file room. He said that the AMC did me a great disservice, that waiting for almost 800 days was not reasonable. He noticed that the information they had requested for in April was already in the file, so he requested that it go to a rater.

He also said that some people at AMC may get into trouble for the way they handled my file.

I wish you all the luck with your claim. I think with a SO right at the AMC will help alot.

Thanks again for your help