VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension As Secondary To Diabetes -essential In Nature

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

Last year I submitted a claim for hypertension as secondary to the service connected disability of diabetes mellitus, type 2 with dietary restrictions. The claim was denied.

In the reasons for decision the VA examiner stated he feels my hypertension is most likely ESSENTAIL IN NATURE.

Could someone tell me what "essential in nature" means?

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

To me, this is just a fancy way of saying that the examiner did not wish to say that diabetes caused or aggravated the hypertension. This flies in the face of current medical thinking.

"ESSENTIAL IN NATURE"

Last year I submitted a claim for hypertension as secondary to the service connected disability of diabetes mellitus, type 2 with dietary restrictions. The claim was denied.

In the reasons for decision the VA examiner stated he feels my hypertension is most likely ESSENTAIL IN NATURE.

Could someone tell me what "essential in nature" means?

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

"Essential" (sometimes called 'primary') HBP means there is no specific cause.

Most HBP is essential but then again muvch HBP is secondary to another known condition.

If you have renal problems due to DMI, or coronary conditions- the HBP is probab;y secondary to those conditions-

It is almost also prevalent if a vet has atherosclerosis that has a strong association to DMII.

My vet rep- with DMII due to AO and heart disease as secondary SC to the DMII was denied on his HBP-

He got a statement from his private diabetes doctor to service connect the HBP as secondary-

• HadIt.com Elder

It only has to be as likely as not that the DMII and hypertension are related. How can anyone say that there is not some relationship between DMII and HBP? This is the VA just trying to keep the lid on it.

It only has to be as likely as not that the DMII and hypertension are related. How can anyone say that there is not some relationship between DMII and HBP? This is the VA just trying to keep the lid on it.

It means "hey we don't have time for you and there are too many claims in the pot, but keep filing maybe we can find something to compensate you for." When I got a claim back that said "shrapnel wounds were not service connected, I knew the VA had lost it.

I was rated with DB2 diet only at first in 2003. In 2005 it had gotten worse and I was put on meds so I asked for an increase. At the C&P the examinor took my BP and it was high so the VA stated hypertension secondary to DB2 but 0% but at least it is SC. I did not ask for it they just added it. I have read where they don't like even SC it at all.

In answer to your question essential nature sounds like they are saying of course you have it. Now you need to NOD I would think on that issue and ask for SC!

Good Luck

Stillhere