VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rehab For Tdiu Vets

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Is there a web site that addresses the Re-Hab benefits or criteria for 100% TDIU Vets. regarding education and if a veteran would even be considered for educational benefits?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest terrysturgis

Hi Jangrin. When I got 100% TDIU P&T the voc rehab people dropped me like a hot potato. The main focus of voc rehab is to train you to get back to a job that they have helped you get training in. They paid for some computer classes for me. Therefore TDIU means the VA has given the opinion that you are unemployable so do not waste money on training.

Now having said that, the Independent Living Service is administered by the same people and some veterans can get things that would be used as a hobby such as a digital camera, computer or wood shop equipment for example. I did not persue that.

Hope everything is OK with your family. Take care. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Independent Living Services

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookg.html

21.160 Independent living services

21.162 Participation in a program of independent living services

Independent Living Services

§21.160 Independent living services.

(a) Purpose. The purpose of independent living services is to assist eligible veterans whose ability to function independently in family, community, or employment is so limited by the severity of disability (service and nonservice-connected) that vocational or rehabilitation services need to be appreciably more extensive than for less disabled veterans. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3104(a)(15), 3109, 3120)

(B) Definitions. The term “independence in daily living” means the ability of a veteran, without the services of others or with a reduced level of the services of others, to live and function within the veteran’s family and community. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3101(2))

© Situations under which independent living services may be furnished. Independent living services may be furnished:

(1) As part of a program to achieve rehabilitation to the point of employability;

(2) As part of an extended evaluation to determine the current reasonable feasibility of achieving a vocational goal;

(3) Incidental to a program of employment services; or

(4) As a program of rehabilitation services for eligible veterans for whom achievement of a vocational goal is not currently reasonably feasible. This program of rehabilitation services may be furnished to help the veteran:

(i) Function more independently in the family and community without the assistance of others or a reduced level of the assistance of others;

(ii) Become reasonably feasible for a vocational rehabilitation program; or

(iii) Become reasonably feasible for extended evaluation. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3104(a)(15), 3109, 3120)

(d) Services which may be authorized. The services which may be authorized as part of an IILP (Individualized Independent Living Plan) include:

(1) Any appropriate service which may be authorized for a vocational rehabilitation program as that term is defined in §21.35(i), except for a course of education or training as described in §21.120; and

(2) Independent living services offered by approved independent living centers and programs which are determined to be necessary to carry out the veteran’s plan including:

(i) Evaluation of independent living potential;

(ii) Training in independent living skills;

(iii) Attendant care;

(iv) Health maintenance programs; and

(v) Identifying appropriate housing accommodations.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3104(a)(15), 3109, 3120)

(e) Coordination with other VA elements and other Federal, State, and local programs. Implementation of programs of independent living services and assistance will generally require extensive coordination with other VA and non-VA programs. If appropriate arrangements cannot be made to provide these services through VA, other governmental, private nonprofit and for profit agencies and facilities may be used to secure necessary services if the requirements contained in §21.294 are met. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3104(a)(15), 3109, 3115, 3120)

[49 FR 40814, Oct. 18, 1984, as amended at 53 FR 50957, Dec. 19, 1988; 55 FR 42186, Oct. 18, 1990; 62 FR 17708, Apr. 11, 1997]

Supplement Highlights reference: 30(2)

§21.162 Participation in a program of independent living services.

(a) Approval of a program of independent living services. A program of independent living services and assistance is approved when:

(1) VA determines that achievement of a vocational goal is not currently reasonably feasible;

(2) VA determines that the veteran’s independence in daily living can be improved, and the gains made can reasonably be expected to continue following completion of the program;

(3) All steps required by §§21.90 and 21.92 of this Part for the development and preparation of an Individualized Independent Living Plan (IILP) have been completed; and

(4) The VR&E Officer concurs in the IILP. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3104(a)(15), 3109, 3120)

(B) Considerations for the VR&E Officer. The VR&E Officer will consider the following factors in administering programs providing independent living services:

(1) If VA resources available limit the number of veterans who may be provided a program of independent living services and assistance, the first priority shall be given to veterans for whom the reasonable feasibility of achieving a vocational goal is precluded solely as a result of service-connected disability; and

(2) To the maximum extent feasible, a substantial portion of veterans provided with programs of independent living services and assistance shall be receiving long-term care in VA medical centers and nursing homes. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3120©)

[49 FR 40814, Oct. 18, 1984, as amended at 53 FR 50957, Dec. 19, 1988; 55 FR 48842, Nov. 23, 1990; 62 FR 17708, Apr. 11, 1997; 66 FR 44053, Aug. 22, 2001]

Supplement Highlights reference: 30(2)

Edited by Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

I used the Independent Living program. My "couselor" made the conditions so difficult and complicated that I told him to shove it. My shrink told me to stay away from those people since they caused more harm than good for the TDIU vet. I asked for a guitar and lessons and the VA turned it into a major project asking my shrink to prove that this would help me. They wanted specifics. I just spent a hundred dollars myself and got the lessons and the guitar no BS from the VA. The VA might want to help rehab your husband with the idea of getting him off TDIU and back to work, otherwise, forget it. I think you should just avoid it. Our good friend Pete53 said never to mention the word "work" at the VA if you are IU or 100%. Voc Rehab is all about work preparation.

Guest jangrin

Thanks Terry, the family is doing just fine, actaully better than ecpected and all is relatively weel.

Hello Wings, glad to see you are back on the board, we missed your posts hope you and your daughter are doing well. Thanks for the info.

John999, I think you are right. I wasn't thinking so much about rehab to work as much as we were thinking about exercise rehab for the cardio stuff. We in conjunction with the cardiac surgeon have postponed the triple bypass for chuckles pending an exercise program and weight program with a re-evaluation in a few months. So we were wondering about getting him a recumbant exercise bile for the cardio as discussed with the cardiac doctor. SO physical rehab not necessarily for work.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the imput... : ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin

You could try voc rehab or you could try and get the VA to buy it for you for medical purposes. The independent living program might buy it for you. They used to be ok about buying computers for people to entertain themselves. The VA would probably say that you should come to their facility to get rehab regardless of if it is 100 miles away. Their is no harm in trying. I think you could worm a some kind of bike from them if you couch it in the form of a hobby. All they can say is NO.

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe you should talk to your VA Doc about Cardio Rehab. In Dallas every time I walk by the expensive gym I never see anyone using it. If the VA is far away maybe they could pay for something that does Medical Rehab near you.

Its a good idea to ask questions till you find something that helps you. In a way I am with John as my cardio rehab is simple I walk almost every day.