VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Turning 65..will I Lose Va Benefits?

Rate this question

LizR

Question

Can someone please tell me simply what is being said about being unemployable and receiving 100% benefits...Am I going to be losing any VA Comp payments when I turn 65 even if I am Permanent and Total? I am 80% receiving unemployability benefits at the 100% rate since 1998. I am also receiving Social Security Disability. Thanks for answering my question.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

No! U won't lose SSA Disbility when your turn 65, and yes you will lose Disability and get SSA Retirement when you become elig for SSA Retirement (Same Amount, except they call it something diff)

There is Talk of giving Combat Disabled Chapter 60 (Under 20) Retiree's more money. And when they turn 65 that extra money converts to SSA. What that means? No one knows because no Bill or Admin to NADA has appeared.

My wife currently draws SSDI and when she turns 65 it just flips to SS retirement..No lose or gain.

Now, I think what the other person was referring to was VA disability flipping to SS Retirment at age 65. Now this sucks. What (like me) Retire military and Federal goverment under FERS. I am already drawing some SS retirement until I reach age 62 (591/2 now) then early SS retirement kicks in.

But, the important part here is the VA Disabiltiy flipping to SS retirement...For one I'm already entitled to x amount of dollars for SS when I retire, will this be increase by the VA disability?

And next and most important..once it does flip to SS retirement, remember that tax free money you was getting for the VA disability!! It now will be taxable under SS retirement and also subject to wage earnings etc.

If I read what I saw correct, thats what happens..WE are screwed!!!

I say leave it alone..For one its TAX free money..if it flips to SS retirement, now they can TAX it! Two..Just how will this effect ones SS retirment, I'm currently 40% drawing 566.00 per month, will my SS retirement be bump up by the same amount?

I don't like it one bit....Its scary..very scary and we could lose some dollars here..One for taxs and two (undefine) will our SS retirement be bump up by our VA disablity amount?

My wife currently draws SSDI and when she turns 65 it just flips to SS retirement..No lose or gain.

Now, I think what the other person was referring to was VA disability flipping to SS Retirment at age 65. Now this sucks. What (like me) Retire military and Federal goverment under FERS. I am already drawing some SS retirement until I reach age 62 (591/2 now) then early SS retirement kicks in.

But, the important part here is the VA Disabiltiy flipping to SS retirement...For one I'm already entitled to x amount of dollars for SS when I retire, will this be increase by the VA disability?

And next and most important..once it does flip to SS retirement, remember that tax free money you was getting for the VA disability!! It now will be taxable under SS retirement and also subject to wage earnings etc.

If I read what I saw correct, thats what happens..WE are screwed!!!

I say leave it alone..For one its TAX free money..if it flips to SS retirement, now they can TAX it! Two..Just how will this effect ones SS retirment, I'm currently 40% drawing 566.00 per month, will my SS retirement be bump up by the same amount?

I don't like it one bit....Its scary..very scary and we could lose some dollars here..One for taxs and two (undefine) will our SS retirement be bump up by our VA disablity amount?

Hello, perhaps Mil.com (or whomever) is attempting to implement widespread panic in our Hadit community and if that is the case, "THEY" should be ashamed. Before I begin my own personal panic I plan to page back to where I first saw this topic come up (anyone else interested page back several times and look for Berta's post) and read. I agree with dman001948 in that this is scary, however, it can be viewed as a heads-up, an advance warning, if you will. Save as much money as you are able, now instead of later. Explore insurance options for loved ones. But, to me, this sounds like a way to tax the C&P money. My husband said in all likely-hood, someday taxing the $$ from the VA would happen and despite my protestations to the contrary, he told me Social Security $$ was tax free at one time. Hmmm...this country had to find some way to refill the coffers after the war, aha! Taxes. Fast forward several decades. Interesting times. H.G.

And I'm sure everyone does NOT get what he/she deserves regardless of their persistence...except for those people who live in Perfect.

Like Chapter 61 vets who should get at least SOME of their retired pay at the very least. And SS shouldn't deny someone SS because he/she didn't have enough work credits the last 10 years due to his/her disability preventing him/her from working...victims of the old Catch-22 gotcha.

Yes, life is full of people not getting what they deserve, good or bad.

Buyt it doesn't matter...my point was lots of vets are ONLY TDIU...the lowest monthly income of those who get TDIU and retired pay and SSDI. So if you are one of the latter people, count your blessings.

-- John D.

I am sure everyone gets what they deserve (except fighting for it, I mean if your persistent enough), anyone who gets TDIU should be able to get SSDI.

As far as a pension military or otherwise they earned it.

Edited by cloudcroft

To quote Larry at www.vawatchdog.org -

LET'S PUT AN END TO THIS RUMOR, RIGHT NOW! Veterans will NOT lose their VA disability compensation at age 65.

If you're not familiar w/ the site, it's a good one for disabled vets.

Here's the link regarding whether or not we lose VA disability benefits at age 65:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfSEP07/nf090607-1.htm

TS

TS,

Unfortunately, Larry cites the Philpot article which is what started this whole thing to begin with. The statement, "But the portion of VA compensation now provided, and intended only to cover reduced earnings capacity, would stop at age 65 when social security begins.", is vague and leads to multible interpretations.

It should be noted that this is only a proposal that has been thrown out there and is not language in a bill or any legislation that we are aware of. The most positive, encouraging aspect of this whole issue is how the Veteran community responded to it! It was swift and widespread. That means we have our eyes on the ball. It means that we, the Veteran community, are beginning to work together.

As far as the "Comp ends at 65" issue, if we continue to work together, this will never make it into and language in a bill. I believe that there was such a swift, numbered response to this and that we have finally got the critters' attention. We must continue to be vigilent and organized to prevale.

jaz

Jazona - I agree completely about the power we vets now have because we can truly unite. The internet, imho, has really changed the landscape for disabled vets. We can get info, communicate w/ other vets, and not be left at the mercy hoping the VA will take care of our best interests but advocate for ourselves in the process. We are so blessed to live in this time in history. It is sad to think of vets who have gone before us who lost out on years of rightfully earned VA benefits because they didn't live and apply in the "information age".

oneshot - wouldn't it be great if we vets COULD vote together? You never know, maybe one day we will vote on the internet and truly have a real democratic government. If the banks can protect my money on the internet than surely they can figure out a way to let us VOTE on the internet.

Thanks,

TS