VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Viewing Your Claims File

Rate this question

Speaking Out

Question

Can you request to come in and view your claims file? I tried through the 800# and was told you have to send in a request for a copy and they'll send you a copy, but you can't come in and view it anymore. Has anyone else run into this?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Your C file is yours!! As stated make an appointment or go to the VA Regional where your file is and tell them you want to see it. Do not let them give you the "it is not my job routine" which is the norm and means they have to get off their butts and go get it. It is not a complicated process r them, they make sure where it is, and then they go retrieve it. You go through it starting at the bottom of the the first one if you have more than one file, and check for your Service Medical Records (SMR's) and if you want to copy something just tell them and they should be able to provide a copy for you. Next check your Service Record Book (SRB), or 201 file, personnel records and they will be from induction into the service to when you got out. Then you go into your claims etc. The outside two wings are nothing really, just schooling requests, POA etc. The meat is in the middle of the sandwich. Good luck.

Again just my 2 cents. Why go see your C-File? take a statement of claim request form and state I would like to obtain a complete copy of my C file and SMR's. They will have your file sent to the FOIA desk and they will take your file and hopefully copy it in 2 weeks. You will receive everything they have at the VARO. Keep a copy of it and use it for references when you make claims. YOu will know every doctor visit. I would also go to the VA Hospital and get a copy of that as well. I know this is a lot of docs....but do you know how many vets who have all their info in a folder and come to me how much easier it is to make a claim and have it well supported when you can ...

05/3/01 MD. stated "limited motion in cervical spine"

06/24/01 Physical Therapy....."limited motion in cervical spine is ....blah blah blah....you get my point.

The other things is this....your files should be kept under lock and key and you can see your file. However, usually a vet rep can do it quickly, but things are starting to get locked down more where I am from. However get a copy and keep it with your DD214 safely. That a way if for some unfortunate death comes (dont want to say that but it sometimes happens) your dependent can give a copy of your DD214 quicker, help them tie up loose ends AND......if you died due to a service connected disability it makes it easier for your family, children, whomever file a DIC Claim and help the funeral parlor get your patriotic burial taken care of.

Well, I called the 800# back and was told that I had to put a request in writing to view my claims folder. I asked if I would be able to come in and view it and was told yes, the VARO will get my request in writing and set up a time and send me a letter letting me know when it is. I explained that I had been told that I could only request in writing a copy of it that they do not allow you to come in and view it. He said he had just spoken with the boss and the info he gave me was correct. I asked to speak to that boss and of course he was not avaliable. I told him that I came into the VARO in Indy to request a time to view the file and that is when I was told that I could only request a copy of it. He asked me who I spoke to. I couldn't remember the name, but told him if he checks the sign in sheet on 29 August he could see who gave me that info. He put me on hold and came back and said that he was wrong and that the other person was right. You can only request a copy of the file now, you can no longer request a time to view the file. He also said not all VARO's are like this, that other VARO's might still allow viewing your file. I expressed that it should be the same at all VARO's. He agreed, but said there was nothing that can be done about that.