VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reopen Claim

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I would like to know if anyone has information on reopen claims. I was contacted by the VA via IRIS stating that I can't have two reopen claims at the same time, 'Is this true?" They also stated that they lumped the two reopen clams together and are working on completing the claim, however the claimsare two totally different things, sleep apnea and auto allowance. Also can anyone tell me what the term "loss of use" means and would bone fusion be considered loss of use?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would like to know if anyone has information on reopen claims. I was contacted by the VA via IRIS stating that I can't have two reopen claims at the same time, 'Is this true?" They also stated that they lumped the two reopen clams together and are working on completing the claim, however the claimsare two totally different things, sleep apnea and auto allowance. Also can anyone tell me what the term "loss of use" means and would bone fusion be considered loss of use?

Can anyone tell me something about this?

Jay in the big picture of the VA you only have ONE claim. That is the original claim that you file. Everything within that claim is a seperate ISSUE. Lets say you file your original claim in 1995 and you request SC for Hypertension, Sleep Apnea and lower back pain. You have the one claim open with three seperate issues. Now move forward to 2007. You have some new issues you want to claim. Lets say DMII and PN. You now have a re-opened claim with two issues. Does this make sense? In quick summary everything you claim is consolidate within your ONE claim. so yes what they have done is correct.

Loss of use is described in 38 CFR 4.63 as: Loss of use of a hand or a foot, for the purpose of special monthly compensation, will be held to exist when no effective function remains other than that which would be equally well served by an amputation stump at the site of election below elbow or knee with use of a suitable prosthetic appliance. The determination will be made on the basis of the actual remaining function of the hand or foot, whether the acts of grasping, manipulation, etc., in the case of the hand, or of balance and propulsion, etc., in the case of the foot, could be accomplished equally well by an amputation stump with prosthesis.

To me this means that if the foot or hand is no better than an artifical one the loss of use exists. I do not think bone fusion would qualify - it would be the function left in the limb after the fusion was completed.

JMHO

Edited by Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder

When you reopen a claim it means you have been denied and you now have new evidence to reopen a claim that was a new claim. If you have a claim and you are asking for an increase you do not need new evidence to go forward. You are simply saying your condition is worse and you want more compensation. This is my understanding of it. Did you have two claims that were denied, or do you have claims you are requesting increases for? There is a big difference in regards to your burden of proof etc.

When you reopen a claim it means you have been denied and you now have new evidence to reopen a claim that was a new claim. If you have a claim and you are asking for an increase you do not need new evidence to go forward. You are simply saying your condition is worse and you want more compensation. This is my understanding of it. Did you have two claims that were denied, or do you have claims you are requesting increases for? There is a big difference in regards to your burden of proof etc.

In 2003 I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, I put in a claim as secondary for this. I never got a decision for this claim. In 2004 I was issued a CPAP with full mask, 2006 I again requested a rating for sleep apnea as secondary to left knee fusion with depression(40), lower lumbar(40), right knee(20),left foot(10), right hip(10),and scars(10),Nov 2006 received a letter that they reopened my claim for sleep apnea. 2006 I requested a review of previous claim for auto allowance which was down graded to adaptive equipment only. I challenged the term "loss of use" on a legal stand point, not to mention the doctors wrote in my medical file that I have loss of use of my left leg and on the fact that it would cost more than the auto allowance to have my car adapted to my service connected disability, almost $16,000. Auto allowance is 12500, it would be beneficial for them to do the auto allowance for me.

• HadIt.com Elder

You original claim should still be open if you never got a decision. That means they should not have reopened it and you may have retro coming to you when they decide it.

I would just like to add that in terms of your "fusion" the VARO adjudicating on the claim may not view it as "loss of use" by VA regulatory definition. However, it should definitely qualify under "loss of function", as outlined by

§ 4.40 Functional loss: Disability of the musculoskeletal system is primarily the inability, due to damage or infection in parts of the system, to perform the normal working movements of the body with normal excursion, strength, speed, coordination and endurance. It is essential that the examination on which ratings are based adequately portray the anatomical damage, and the functional loss, with respect to all these elements. The functional loss may be due to absence of part, or all, of the necessary bones, joints and muscles, or associated structures, or to deformity, adhesions, defective innervation, or other pathology, or it may be due to pain, supported by adequate pathology and evidenced by the visible behavior of the claimant undertaking the motion. Weakness is as important as limitation of motion, and a part which becomes painful on use must be regarded as seriously disabled. A little used part of the musculoskeletal system may be expected to show evidence of disuse, either through atrophy, the condition of the skin, absence of normal callosity or the like.