VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Plavix And The Va

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday, I met with my Diabetes Clinic Doc yesterday. We reviewed everything and over all I was happy with our visit until. She looks at a paper and says not looking me in the eyes that she is going to go ahead and cancel my Plavix.

I asked why and she said the VA had a study and that it indicated that Plavix was not necessary after a year. I told her that my Cardio Doc told me I would need it the rest of my life. I also told her I would like to see the study. I also asked if there was a memo from VA or VA Pharmacy asking to cut Vets off of Plavix?

She got flustered and she said please discuss this with your Cardio Doc we will leave it as is for now. I was calm for me but I told her that any changes in Medication for me needed to be discussed and agreed upon and my Primary Doc needed to be involved cause how can I have a treatment plan when I have no input?

As I was leaving she thanked me for staying nice and said that it hurt her when Vets got real angry. I consoled her by saying I am not angry with any of the professionals who treat Veterans at the VA I am mad at the bureaucrats and politicians.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete,

I know that my husband has been warned, due to his recent stent, that he will remain on Plavix for the rest of his life also.

He has never been to the VA hospital, although, he is a veteran of the Vietnam War. He has always had gainful employment and has insurance through his company.

I would be doing something about this mess, as this is a very dangerous call on the part of the VA.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete,

this is why I do not go to the VA anymore exept for dental.....I mention plavix they run, I use my insurance and eat the rest, after 5 times in my legs due to PAD I wont play the game nor will I trust them.

Like you said , the blame mostly rest with our so called fearless leaders.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA seems to have decided that Plavix is too expensive for us lowly vets. That aside, I've been taking it since 2001, mostly thru the VA. Most recently, I filed a copy of the new plavix prescription from my cardiologist with the VA. I also take another drug, simvastatin(Zocor) This is a drug of some concern as there is a big flap about it going on in Britain. Seems that the NHS there is trying to change patients from Lipitor to simvastatin. The uproar is because symvistatin is less effective than Lipitor, and there are statistics that show a 30% increae in death rate among patients that were switched from Lipitor to symvastatin. My cardiologist originally called for Lipitor, which was not in the VA formulary. It seems that symvastatin can sort of hold things in check, and Lipitor can actually improve matters.

Yesterday, I met with my Diabetes Clinic Doc yesterday. We reviewed everything and over all I was happy with our visit until. She looks at a paper and says not looking me in the eyes that she is going to go ahead and cancel my Plavix.

I asked why and she said the VA had a study and that it indicated that Plavix was not necessary after a year. I told her that my Cardio Doc told me I would need it the rest of my life. I also told her I would like to see the study. I also asked if there was a memo from VA or VA Pharmacy asking to cut Vets off of Plavix?

One of the things I'd try is asking the VA to justify (in writing) not supplying a drug in the formulary. It would seem that the veteran's drug act requires that they supply the drug when presented with a valid prescription.

She got flustered and she said please discuss this with your Cardio Doc we will leave it as is for now. I was calm for me but I told her that any changes in Medication for me needed to be discussed and agreed upon and my Primary Doc needed to be involved cause how can I have a treatment plan when I have no input?

As I was leaving she thanked me for staying nice and said that it hurt her when Vets got real angry. I consoled her by saying I am not angry with any of the professionals who treat Veterans at the VA I am mad at the bureaucrats and politicians.

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck:

I have been on Zocor for several years now and at present it is doing pretty well except that my good HDL is to low. I am taking Niacin to raise it but so far no luck. My overall Cholesterol is running between 130 and 150 and I would like to get closer to 100.

Thanks to all who responded. I know that the VA has decided to get as many of us as possible off of Plavix.