VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Notice Of Disagreement--cardiac Rating

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

Re: Sick Sinus Syndrome with Sinus Bradycardia, Status Post Pacemaker

I changed my mind about not appealing one portion of my claim. I was pleased that the VA approved the disability shown above; but upon reading the text of the Rating Decision, I discovered that I had overlooked the fact that the VA rated my METs (One MET (metabolic equivalent) is the energy cost of standing quietly at rest and represents an oxygen uptake of 3.5 milliliters per kilogram of body weight per minute) at greater than 7.

The most recent treadmill test,from three years ago, shows my METs as 6.2. The difference between great than 7 and less than 7 is 20 rating points (10% vs. 30%). Soooo...does anyone here have experience with type situation? Should I pay for my own stress test?

Thank you.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is one way to have the actual mets measured.It is risky but here is how to get it done. Find an outside cardiologist amd get a second opinion. If you have a family history of MI, then you may be given a Heart Cath. The heart cath over rules any evidence in the file for it is an actual true measurement. Some folks cant do this because they have no insurance.

J

You might want to let the outside cardio dr decide if you need a cath or not. After I had a cardio stress test I was schedueled for one and they found a 90% block so more than likely saved my life!

Stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

My outside internist says that stress tests are not much good unless you have symptoms already. Stillhere, your comment about a blockage worries me. Were you having chest pains?

• HadIt.com Elder

Last September I was required to take a stress test to be cleared for surgery. 5 days later I had angioplasty and a intervention procedure that placed a stent for one artery 90% blocked.

Funny how I could go from ok in Feb 2006 to 90% blockage in Sep 2006 but that is the difference between the VA and private Medicine.

Now the VA wants to take me off Plavix and I have to get another prescription from my Cardiologist who told me I would have to be on Plavix for the rest of my life. The VA says it has a study that they won't show me that proves you don't need Plavix after a year.