VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension In Service

Rate this question

Guest morgan

Question

One of my friends had hypertension diagnosed and treated while in service, and was treated after discharge, with some lapses in treatment because he couldn't afford the medical care and medication. He can't prove he had treatment within a year after discharge, or for several years following because the doctor died who treated him and the records are missing. He does have proof of ongoing treatment for the past 30 years. He has taken large doses of medications to control it and has had major complications related to it: CAD, blood clots (pulmonary embolism, DVT, and intestinal), heart attack, and renal failure. His BP has been mostly uncontrollable for 25+ years. He served 14 years in the USAF (Vietnam era, not in country) and had an honorable discharge.

Medical info online says "hypertension is chronic and incurable, but manageable in most cases with diet and medication." Would anyone here venture a guess whether he could get hypertension and these secondary conditions service connected? Or is it too late for him to succeed with a claim?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If he can prove he was diagnosed and treated for HBP in service then he should be able to get it SC'ed since there is continuity of treatment for most of the last 30 years. I bet he has other related problems as well. He should do a full court press on the HBP. If he gets HBP SC'ed the other conditions like kidney problems and heart problems could be SC'ed as well. Why did he wait so long? It is possible that HBP may be presumptive for agent orange pretty soon from what I read.

• HadIt.com Elder

He does not need a diagnosis, Just show he has readings that are high on several occasions. His post service readings need to be above 160 systolic or 100 diastolic as it must be compensable.

Next he needs a Doc to evaluate the evidence (Past and present) and state the onset of HTN started in service.

Once it is connected, CAD, MI,and possibly renal failure can be service connected.

He needs to act quick on this issue.

JBasser

He said he's had BP over 200 (systolic) on many occasions, but mostly stays 140-160 on meds. I just wasn't sure about the long time since discharge without a claim. He didn't know he could file a claim for service connection, he thought disability benefits were for combat injuries only. He just hadn't had anyone to help him. Sad, but I've talked to several older veterans recently who thought the same thing, and they weren't aware that service organizations don't charge a fee.

Thanks for your help and encouragement to push for this.