Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Dro

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a VCAA letter today and a letter asking me if I wanted a DRO for my appeal for a much earlier effective date for my TDIU. I filled out the paper work and hand carried it to my RO. I got date stamped copies. When I do this I always get action much quicker than when I just mail it in. Even when I send it certified my documents seem to go into lala land for a few extra months. I drove 25 miles to the RO which is so close it costs about the same as sending stuff certified. I sleep better knowing I have a copy of my paperwork. The VA puts it into the computer on the spot. I recommmend taking you stuff and putting it in their hands if possible. You can save yourself months of time if they lose it. Every time I go to the RO they have changed some procedure about how they handle evidence.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I live about 5 miles from the RO they just "love" me in the service office I think they all cringe when I walk in the door lol I think I made them mad when I wouldn't fall down and do the "I'm not worthy" deal when I finally got my 100% award after all the DAV did it for me! yea right they didn't do a damn thing and were no help on the heart issues at all in fact after the RO awarded the PTSD claim the SO wanted to drop my heart claim and file for a 10% award for hypertension BS I have had 7 heart attacks and a failed triple bypass My wife needs the heart issues SC as when I drop dead she won't have to fight them for the DIC benefits right now I am only SC for PTSD and with all the other medical problems I have I get the feeling my death will be caused by heart issues which eventually I am sure my wife could get SC but she would lose the house in the meantime and she don't need the headaches I have stacks of round dated papers I haven't submitted anything by mail since 2002 I always drive it in lol

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

John -I just got a request for DRO review due to my NOD on my CUE claims.

My reconsideration request prompted them to start working on these 2 claims but it show why it is SO important to file the NOD even if the Recon request is pending-within the year after the decision was received.And I was able to file it after the attorney for regs went through and am seeking attorney if this is not resolved correctly.

If the VA is capable of reading basic VA case law they can resolve my CUE claims in a heartbeat.

The VA stated that my husband (unlike thousands and thousands of other veterans- with 100% SC for one disability and fulfilling SMC criteria for his additional disabilities under Sec 1151 at over 100%-

was not eligible for SMC consideration.

Every veteran with Section 1151 "as if" disabilities and or direct SC ones is eligible for SMC consideration and a proper SMC award if one disability is 100% and the others warrant additional SMC comp.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Carlie,

I would just like to say amen to your assesment of St.Pete RO. The transcripts of my recent DRO meeting were filled with inacuracies.

The Vet Ctr on 1st AVE North is very reliable. And they keep good records. And always get that date stamp!

Johnny K.

Edited by Johnny K.

Doc Johnny K

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use