VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C And P Exam

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

I went with my husband to his C&P exam- he had already had one 3 years ago- and is diagnosed withPTSD-by VA IMO AND SS-I am always with him at all exams- I was detained by security when I asked to be present with him- and if I could video tape his exam,he was afraid they would say he was never there, and off Iwent to the PAO office for the entire 2 or more hours.I was questioned like I was a criminal to be there for my husband I was only let in for 5 minutes or less to get him- when he had hives FROM THE STRESS OF NOT KNOWING WHERE I WAS,HIS BP WAS OUT OF WHACK, i COULD GO ON.he was a wreck!! Anyone else?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

And, of course, you DIDN'T create a scene...?

I have a feeling that your husband would have been much better served without you having been there.

Of course he has PTSD............I would to.

Sorry, I know half the board will be chunking rocks at me........but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your disabled husband wanted you with him to assist that is his right. I would guess that the thought of video taping is what set them off.

You should consider a complaint to the Administrator at the VA Hospital and possibly a complaint to the IG. Its probably a non winner but it will put them on notice.

I would also suggest that you type up a statement for the next visit and simply state that Under the American with Disabilities Act you require the assistance of your wife at all times.

• HadIt.com Elder

it is standard procedure for mental health C&Ps to deny witnesses and cameras, my wife was not allowed to attend my mental health C&P either, although she has been allowed in for ALL other exams 6 or 7 of them but then she never "demanded" anything either we knew going into it she would probably not be allowed in, this has come up before and this seems to be "standard" practice nation wide

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi,

I only get vocal some of the times, allow me to post my feelings.

There is no Psychiatrist ever going to place me into their office without a member of my family to be present.

If there is another C&P for me in the cards, security will be removing me from the premises.

I will do exactly as directed by the General Council, kick, scream, what ever you have to do, but never enter the room with two psychiatrist.

When I read the article on WatchDog, I see myself at the Salem Medical Center, loose their license or whatever it takes to stop some of this nonsense.

My rights were violated.

I have said enough.

We don't all agree on certain things.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Mrsvet

Were you actually detained against your will? Yes, the VA like to keep the spotlight off their substandard C&P exams. What law says they can detain a wife for wanting to be with her husband during a C&P exam. I guess you are lucky they did not beat you up also like at the Tampa VAMC when some poor vet was driving too fast in the parking lot. The VA police dragged him out of the car and beat him so bad their was a pool of blood.

Hi,

I only get vocal some of the times, allow me to post my feelings.

There is no Psychiatrist ever going to place me into their office without a member of my family to be present.

If there is another C&P for me in the cards, security will be removing me from the premises.

I will do exactly as directed by the General Council, kick, scream, what ever you have to do, but never enter the room with two psychiatrist.

When I read the article on WatchDog, I see myself at the Salem Medical Center, loose their license or whatever it takes to stop some of this nonsense.

My rights were violated.

I have said enough.

We don't all agree on certain things.

Josephine

Especially given the VA's history with not granting claims in cases where doctors sexually assault patients. If I were a female vet I would NEVER enter ANY VA doctor's office without a family member:-(

To the OP:

Did you do anything to warrant being detained? If not, you can likely file a criminal charge against the VA for unlawful imprisonment.....the VA, nor anyone else, has the right to detain you for ANYTHING unless you have committed a crime or suspected of committing a crime. If you did nothing wrong, I would suggest calling the police and hiring a good lawyer!