VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do I Ask Private Doc To Write For My Appeal

Rate this question

vietvet

Question

Hello fellow vets:

I am filing an appeal for service connection of vertigo secondary to tinnitus/hearing loss. I've gone to a private doc who gave me a complete and thorough exam. What can my private doc write for me to help my appeal. Does he need to see my total medical VA records? Very grateful for any help. Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Hello fellow vets:

I am filing an appeal for service connection of vertigo secondary to tinnitus/hearing loss. I've gone to a private doc who gave me a complete and thorough exam. What can my private doc write for me to help my appeal. Does he need to see my total medical VA records? Very grateful for any help. Thanks.

First get your military records on hearing exam, then get your VA hearing exams, then have your doctor compare his results with the military and then the VA. Is there a difference, yes in what regard. Is it worse now, what did you do in the service that led to hearing loss, and what kind of work did you do now that could not contribute to your hearing loss. Had a guy who was in artillery, and had hearing loss. VA said it was due to his working in the steel plant back East, turns out the VET was a salesman and that he was not working in the steel mill. Hope you get the drift. Take care and good luck. Your private doctor should look and understand your service medical records, which are in your C file and can be copied for you by the VA. Q

Edited by bobbyq

This case shows how they rate vertigo and what evidence they need:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files3/0612837.txt

It also includes the DC code 6205 for Meniere's -often the diagnosis for many diagnosis of vertigo with hearing problems associated to it-

The DC code means the difference in proper compensation-

"A 30 percent rating is warranted

under DC 6299-6204. A 30 percent rating is the maximum

rating available under DC 6204"

This is for vertigo- However

This vet got

"ORDER

A 100 percent evaluation for Meniere's disease is granted."

from http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files2/0719136.txt

The case states:

"Resolving reasonable in favor of the veteran, his Meniere's

disease results in dizziness and loss of balance more than

four times per month and is accompanied by hearing loss and

tinnitus."

It looks to me that vertigo as symptom of Meniere's is more advantageous to the veteran if the formal diagnosis is Meniere's.Hope others respond to that-

Also there is info here under the search feature up top-

under "Getting an Independent Medical Opinion".

In your case the private doctor has to give medical rationale for the fact that your vertigo or Meniere's is directly due to your hearing loss and tinnitus.If they say "more than likely or as likely as not" this fulfills the criteria for secondary service connection.

It also helps if they make the point that there is no other known etiology for your vertigo but for the audiological problems you have.

It would help if you check out the Schedule of Ratings and the DC codes under the search feature and as mentioned in these BVA decisions and show the doctor the actual disability criteriae that vertigo involves.

Edited by Berta

PS Vietvet- I assume that 20% you get now is for hearing loss and tinnitis? That seems WAY too low- is part of your appeal for a higher rating for the hearing loss too?