VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lisinopril Gave Me Serious Sinus Trouble

Rate this topic

Was on Lisinopril for Hypertension. Around Nov of 2006 I got the flu and clogged all up. It never seemed to go away though. I had daily sinus distress, with constant blowing and running. My left sinus was completely blocked for almost 7 months. I had to breath out of my mouth, it was horrible. I was scoped into my nose several times and had several CT scans. They said everything was swelled up and they gave me steroids, and nasal sprays, and had me squirting solutions of stuff into my nose. It was a horrible time. I had asked before about my meds as my Lisinopril dosage had been increased around the same time I got sick. They all said that Lisinopril can not cause this.

Well, FINALLY in July, I saw a new ENT Dr and he said that Lisinopril can cause this in 1 out of every 100 people. He switched me to Felodipine and put me on a course of prednisone steroids to reduce the swelling, and after 7 months, I was finally able to get air through my left nostril. I have lost a good amount of my sense of smell but Im so happy my daily misery of the sinus stuff is better.

So, just know if you take Lisinopril that it CAN cause sinus trouble. Wish I had a Dr who knew that 6 months ago.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Nathan:

I did not know that and sorry for your misery. I would guess that could have happened anywhere as Lisinopril is a pretty common approach to lowering blood pressure especially for diabetics. It is supposed to be easier on the kidneys I think and it is dirt cheap which the VA likes.

Same thing happened to me. I was treated for bronchitis, asthma, you name it. I would cough, gag, sneeze, get chills. Finally, a doctor said lisinopril can cause those symptoms. I switched to felopine and 2 weeks all was well.