VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ok. I'm Ready To File For Tdiu

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have been pondering on whether or not to file for TDIU. Not to long ago I filed for an increased rating for my Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotc Features (currently at 50%) and instead the VA proposed to decrease my rating (to 30%). I went back and fourth with them until they decided to leave it the same (50%). However, they increased my Irritable Bowel Syndrome to (30%), which now makes my overall rating at 70%.

They did not mention anything about considering me for TDIU. Anyway, I think that I will file for TDIU, I just don't want to risk losing my benefits. I've already been through that.

Now, I was in the Vocah Rehab program and went through school, however my disabilities caused me not to be able to continue. I received a letter from my Vocah Rehab counselor stating that, quote "As your vocational rehabilitation counselor, I have made a determination that it is not feasible for you to benefit from a program designed to return you to gainful employment. However, we will be providing you an evaluation for individualized Independent Living services. A VA contractor will come to your home and complete an assessment of your Independent living needs." unquote.

I also visited my VA Psych dr. and he said that I can no longer work because of my disability. (Which he also stated in a letter, when I was trying to get my disability increased). He has once again listed this in my medical record.

At this point, should I apply for TDIU? Do I have enough evidence? If so, how would I file out my TDIU form? I haven't worked since 2002, however I was in school (through the Vocah Rehab Program, through 2004 - 2005.

Thank you, as always for your help!

Cherie33

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Cherie-that evidence is GOLDEN for TDIU.

I will attach the TDIU form.

Under # 18 check off yes and apply for SSA disability benefits.But dont wait too long as I think they only will award SSA for disability if one has worked within 5 years of applying for SSA- the SSA web site could give more info on that.

Under Remarks # 25 refer them to a separate page and tell them (and attach any copies of evidence of) what you told us here as to what the Doc said as well as the Voc Rehab people.

If one cannot continue to pursue Voc Rehab due to SC - this is excellent evidence of TDIU.As well as what the doc said.

Send them copies only of the Docs letter and the Voc Rehab stuff.

TDIU_form.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Cherie 33

I don't think that you will have a problem getting TDIU and like Berta said apply for Social Security Disability if you have not already.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I know if you don't file for it, they won't approve it all you can do is file and sit back and say your prayers they do get answered sometimes

Cherie-that evidence is GOLDEN for TDIU.

I will attach the TDIU form.

Under # 18 check off yes and apply for SSA disability benefits.But dont wait too long as I think they only will award SSA for disability if one has worked within 5 years of applying for SSA- the SSA web site could give more info on that.

Under Remarks # 25 refer them to a separate page and tell them (and attach any copies of evidence of) what you told us here as to what the Doc said as well as the Voc Rehab people.

If one cannot continue to pursue Voc Rehab due to SC - this is excellent evidence of TDIU.As well as what the doc said.

Send them copies only of the Docs letter and the Voc Rehab stuff.

Thank you Berta...Now what should I put when I don't have the exact dates of when I last worked or the #14 "Date You Became Too Disabled To Work"?

As well as Earned Income? This isn't asking about what I receive from VA?

Also, as far as Self-Employment. I did do some work using my notary stamp, however, its not like I work everyday, or even work enough to matter. Should I include that info too? I'm not doing anything now.

Cherie33

I know if you don't file for it, they won't approve it all you can do is file and sit back and say your prayers they do get answered sometimes

Hahaha, Testvet. That would make sense...You are right, I won't know for sure unless I apply for it. So, I will. I mean, they can only say "yes" or "no"

Cherie33

Cherie 33

I don't think that you will have a problem getting TDIU and like Berta said apply for Social Security Disability if you have not already.

Good Luck

Thanks Pete. I will...Now, do you think that I should go ahead and send in the completed TDIU form with at least my "Voch Rehab" letter attached to it, and when I get a copy of the comments from my dr. I can send it in latter. Or should I send all of it together?

Cherie33