VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bay Pines V.a. Medical Records/ Errors & Omissions..

Rate this question

william n

Question

:( hello all, again i would like to thank ya'll for this website it has truly been a great help. Now, as briefly as possible, I filed a claim here at bay pines RO,[4]disability's. ok..pulled all my med/psyc. history file as folks suggested from ROI..Took them home and scrutinized every page..WOW! There are 'progress notes' from when i passed a med. staff in the hallway and said "hello" and talked for a minute.{date/time}and the conversation..{VERBATIM}.Here is another, my psyc.dr.{1st visit}states i have had "depression" for the past 10 yrs.WOW! Thats not what i told him, i told him I"ve suffered depression ,since i left service[1976] and it has gotten worse the last 10, no, make that the past 7 yrs." Failed to mention, that i had an inpatient 1986 [pvt. hosp.]for same disorder.He states, r/o dysthymia r/o bipolar..yada yada. My file is only[600pgs.] have gone through 575pgs. and by the way, i'm a college graduate :huh: i did'nt even attend college before/after service !! I can go on and on about all the errors/omissions, but won't bore you any further..The RO, according to my VSO, [ck'd.status] just got my c-file on Sept. 10th from where ever it was.? I really could use some suggestions/guidance at this point.please.. many thanks, will

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Were you treated for depression in the service? All these errors are standard for the ST. Pete VARO. I use them as well. The errors usually seem to take on a direction away from service connection and towards an alternative explanation for your conditions. Maybe you can set the C&P doctor straight on some of this stuff when you get your exam. One way to heal some of these errors is to get a good IMO to review your records and make an opinion. All these errors and ommissions are the kinds of things that hurt vets when they file claims and get into the appeals. They will drag this stuff up and use it against you. You might write a letter listing and correcting all errors and ommissions. I don't know if it will do any good since no one at the VA reads your records anyway beyond the first few pages. That is good and bad. To deny a claim the VA will cherry pick through your records sometimes and pull the one report or sentence to kill the claim. They did it with me many times. As part of my appeals and reconsiderations I set them straight on the errors. However, their is a good chance they will turn up again next time. It is a constant fight.

• In Memoriam

I had several mistakes in my records. I made an elaborate explanation of every error. Then I went to the patients advocate (every VAMC has one) corrected and added the corrections to the record.

Several of the errors were out and out lies. They had said that I worked with Mercury in my trade for many years. They said that my children were by my first wife (false), and much much more in the way of errors.

The radiologist that made the errors told me how sorry that he was and that the corrections were added to my file by him personally.

thanks Stretch, your input gave me some reassurance im headed in the right direction..i took all the errors to the ROI[privacy officer]and he assured me after i signed the "privacy act" request[short note he had me write with my request] that it would be corrected[not deleted] they ammend everything, nothing is ever deleted in a "med file" i'm ok with that, i guess.... :huh: many thanks, will OH! can i NOD too the RO based on the fact that the info "they had" was in error???? thanks will

Edited by williamn

If you already filed the NOD I would send them an Addendum to it stating the errors that were corrected and send them copy of the corrections.Particularily if these errors affected their decision.

If the NOD hasn't been filed yet bring these points up in it with the corrections.

Errors could impact on how a claim is handled but the best thing to do is to try to give VA whatever evidence the VCAA letter says they need from you in order to award the claim.

Edited by Berta

Thanks Berta, i,ll be sure to do just that.,william.... By the way i grew up in Conn. and my sister, Desert Storm Vet,Cpl.USMC..now..a readjustment counselor asst. @ vet center/Greenville,N.C. I'm very proud of her!! :huh:

Edited by williamn