VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where Should I Head For The Furture

Rate this question

robert51

Question

I presently have PTSD 70% IU and PT and i have had this for about 5 years i still go to the doctor every 2 weeks..(over 7 years now ) my meds keep getting higher and higher started out with 300mg of serquol and 100 Zoloft and now i take 700 serquol and 100mg Zoloft, If there was a rating of PTSD 80% i think i could get it but i am not 100% PTSD over the years it was suggested i look into Sleep disorder and do one of those sleep test and get my hearing checked as the doctor says she can tell i have a difficult time hearing her unless she speaks load and direct.. with all this talk of IU possible stoping at 65 should i persue a higher rating and try to get 100% without IU , As a door gunner on a uh1 during nam i have terriable hearing , and tingling in one side sometimes.. as to the sleep disorder , well when i first got my IU and PT i was so burned out on dealing with the VA i just stoped the fighting but now with IU going away maybe should i persue a higher rating to be safe..??

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Robert - I personally think you are safe. No need to open a can of worms unless you are going fishing. any changes that come about will be slow and a battle. Just stay active writing your congress idiot to help insure that no changes happen. At any rate I have never heard of any VA changes taking place that were retroactive. So more than likely you will keep what you have.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the tinnitus and it is now 24/7 and its not ringing it buzzing. Really can be annoying but there are times when I actually don't notice it as much.

I think Ricky gave you good advice.

Seeing someone 2 times a week for 7 years seems like a lot to me. I take xanax and neurontin for panic and depression and seems to do ok plus the neurontin seems to help my neuropothy

Good Luck are you still thinking of moving back to the States?

Robert -with TDIU P & T, paid at the 100% rate-

I see no point in fighting the VA for more because it could only involve meeting the SMC criteria to have some monetary gain to you.

The SMC regs are in 38 USC 1114 and available here under the search feature.

But if you feel you do meet the SMC criteria in some way, then file for SMC.

I was so burned out in 1998 I never dreamed I would have basis for additional VA claims.But I did and have been years in the process on these additional claims.

I guess I feel that -if you can fulfill the SMC criteria-by all means go for it-but as you know the whole claims process not only can burn one out =I think the claims process itself either causes PTSD or makes the level of PTSD a vet has already MUCH worse.

The VA in my case must have went to summer school this year I think-to learn how to read-

I have gotten more mail from them lately than is usual-

it appears that they are actually reading my claims.

It took me five days to think about and carefully prepare my responses -3 separate issues- and to re-send to them what they have received many times already-

the evidence they have not considered in years-

All the files had to come out again and I had to take this time away from everything else I have to do-also I raised errors in their letters to me that also will involve more VA correspondence-I will probably have to respond to again- so maybe best to weigh how frustrating you might find an additional claim to be-

HOWEVER- dont fail to ask them for SMC if there is any way you meet any part of the SMC criteria.

I dont regret filing these claims -I just regret it took someone over 4 years to begin read them and start to consider my overwhelming medical evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

The only reason to go further is to ask for housebound. If you qualify for housebound then you must be 100% schedular. I know a guy who was 70% for panic disorder and he filed for housebound. The VA approved the housebound and them bumped him up to 100%. Since you are P&T I don't think there is any way they are going to be able to reduce you. If you were bumped up to 100% on the PTSD I don't know if your P&T status would stay the same. If I was already 100% I would probably ask for housebound. It does mean the VA can reopen your claim. Housebound is a new claim and you might have to go for a C&P exam. It is $295 a month extra. If you really are housebound then go for it.

Thank you all for the info... i am not housebound and was only wondering if getting a 100% without the IU was a good idea... i really dont want to file and clog up the system anymore it was just the doctor at the VA suggested the sleep study so i thought maybe i could replace the IU and the ear thing like pete says its more of a pain in the A?? then anything else .. I just did not want to get to 65 and have them take the IU and leave me with the 70% and starting over on the fight... I will hold tight for now to save space for another vet.. again thanks everyone.. and pete still looking into moving to SC just waiting for the kids to finish school ( college and then i hope they take flight and stretch them wings.. ))