VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security And The Va

Rate this question

bosun

Question

i was wondering i am getting social security disability for the same thing i have applied for sc with the va just got approved for ss it took a total of 45 days from start to finish should i tell the va im getting this will it help my sc claim our hurt it need some advice on this i have already been turned down one time by the va and have asked for a reconsederation with new medical evadence thanks for your help. bill :unsure:

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you should let the VA know about your SSA "award of benefits".

The VA does not have to go along with the SSA in the granting of benefits, and the SSA does not have to go along with the VA........but, I suspect that there is a greater "weight" accorded to each other's "awards" than about anything else you can provide as "evidence".

Of course, your SSA "award" must be for the same thing, and it must state the same disability as you are claiming from the VA, in other words, the two different claims must coincide, medically.

Send the VA the SSA form #SSA-4734-BK.

• HadIt.com Elder

In 1991 when I applied for SS and VA at same time the VA ignored the SS decision. I can't quote the reg but I think that they both have to give more attention to the others finding and the date of award can affect an earlier effective date in some cases.

Bosun,

Yes you do have to notify the VA you are receiving SSA benifits. You need to send the va a release of info form so they can send for your SSA files. Even if you sent them the va still wants to get the files directly fron SSA. I went through it seven years ago.

BIGPAPA92