VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Zero % After Dro Hearing For Ptsd

Rate this question

Johnny K.

Question

Dear Tbird,

This site is an unbelieveable blessing and, after more than two years of trying to prove service connection for my PTSD, I finally found the site a couple of months ago, after my Legion Rep told me about it.

I have been married twice, most recently for fourteen years. I am a Vietnam and Desert Storm non-combat veteran and worked as a Hospital Corpsman from 1973-1992 mostly with the Marine Corps as a Field Medical Service Technician as a platoon corpsman , and as an EMT/Paramedic at Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital emergency services, and in the refugee camp in 1975 where all of my documented stressors occurred, along with caring for the sick and wounded returning to Long Beach Naval Hospital during 1972.

Last week a DRO sent me a transcript of our meeting and changed me from a complete denial status of my service connection claim to zero %. I have been treated by private mental health professionals on an outpatient basis since 1981, and by VA doctors since 2005. The diagnoses have always included anxiety/panic disorder, major depression, etc. GAF 55.

My American Legion Rep is happy and says that, now that I have recieved service connection status, we can appeal again for a higher percentage of disability.

I currently work four hours a day, five days a week in a job which allows me to have minimal contact with the public, and that helps me avoid many of my stressors.

I drive to and from work, and drive at work and, because I am on medication continuously I have few road rage incidents. I have been on medication for many years for my symptoms and I recieve them from a VA psychiatrist.

The transcript from the DRO had several mistakes in it, and I would like to correct them. How do I do that?

Also, in order to get my rating increased do I need to get a statement of employability? And should I go to a civilian psychologist, or psychiatrist-- or the VA psychiatrist (who I do not completely trust). Who's opinion would carry the most weight with the people who make ratings decisions?

One of the great Hadit community members provided me with a list describing what each percentage increment for PTSD requires, and I believe I fall somewhere around 30-50 %.

Thanks for your great heart and the help of the whole Hadit community.

Doc John

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks, Pete, I feel the same way.

It can't hurt and if I spread the cost over the total time between filing my claim in 2005 and whenever I am compensated, it is down-right cheap!

spacer.gif

CowGirl,

This is a question I asked Pete, and I wanted your opinion and anyone else's who may have dealt with similar situations:

I filed my claim for PTSD in 2005.

At my C&P a couple of months ago the shrink conceded MDD "more likeley than not service connected but said my symptoms were not severe enough to rate me for PTSD. I requested decision review.

Now the DRO (letter arrived Friday) has rated me 0% for PTSD based on all the evidence I presented.

We have ammended the claim to include both MDD & PTSD.

1.) How can I get my rating increased?

2.)Do two mental health disabilities qualify me for higher compensation ratings dry.gif

Thanks,

Doc

CowGirl,

This is a question I asked Pete, and I wanted your opinion and anyone else's who may have dealt with similar situations:

At my C&P a couple of months ago the shrink conceded MDD "more likeley than not service connected", but said my symptoms were not severe enough to rate me for PTSD. I requested decision review.

Now the DRO (letter arrived Friday) has rated me 0% for PTSD based on all the evidence I presented.

We [DRO, VSR, and myself] have ammended the claim to include both MDD & PTSD.

2.)Do two mental health disabilities qualify me for higher compensation ratings dry.gif

Thanks,

Doc

CowGirl,

At my C&P a couple of months ago the shrink conceded MDD "more likeley than not service connected", but said my symptoms were not severe enough to rate me for PTSD. I requested decision review.

We [DRO, VSR, and myself] have ammended the claim to include both MDD & PTSD.

2.)Do two mental health disabilities qualify me for higher compensation ratings %7Boption%7D

Thanks,

Doc

Doc, mental health issues are all rated the same. By this I mean you can not receive a rating for, lets say, PTSD and MDD. That would fall under the pryamid rule in title 38. So you will not see any help there. The only way to get an increase is with medical evidence. Or if they overlooked or simply failed to use the evidence you have already presented then the next logical step is to continue your appeal to the board.