VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Zero % After Dro Hearing For Ptsd

Rate this question

Johnny K.

Question

Dear Tbird,

This site is an unbelieveable blessing and, after more than two years of trying to prove service connection for my PTSD, I finally found the site a couple of months ago, after my Legion Rep told me about it.

I have been married twice, most recently for fourteen years. I am a Vietnam and Desert Storm non-combat veteran and worked as a Hospital Corpsman from 1973-1992 mostly with the Marine Corps as a Field Medical Service Technician as a platoon corpsman , and as an EMT/Paramedic at Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital emergency services, and in the refugee camp in 1975 where all of my documented stressors occurred, along with caring for the sick and wounded returning to Long Beach Naval Hospital during 1972.

Last week a DRO sent me a transcript of our meeting and changed me from a complete denial status of my service connection claim to zero %. I have been treated by private mental health professionals on an outpatient basis since 1981, and by VA doctors since 2005. The diagnoses have always included anxiety/panic disorder, major depression, etc. GAF 55.

My American Legion Rep is happy and says that, now that I have recieved service connection status, we can appeal again for a higher percentage of disability.

I currently work four hours a day, five days a week in a job which allows me to have minimal contact with the public, and that helps me avoid many of my stressors.

I drive to and from work, and drive at work and, because I am on medication continuously I have few road rage incidents. I have been on medication for many years for my symptoms and I recieve them from a VA psychiatrist.

The transcript from the DRO had several mistakes in it, and I would like to correct them. How do I do that?

Also, in order to get my rating increased do I need to get a statement of employability? And should I go to a civilian psychologist, or psychiatrist-- or the VA psychiatrist (who I do not completely trust). Who's opinion would carry the most weight with the people who make ratings decisions?

One of the great Hadit community members provided me with a list describing what each percentage increment for PTSD requires, and I believe I fall somewhere around 30-50 %.

Thanks for your great heart and the help of the whole Hadit community.

Doc John

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Doc, mental health issues are all rated the same. By this I mean you can not receive a rating for, lets say, PTSD and MDD. That would fall under the pryamid rule in title 38. So you will not see any help there. The only way to get an increase is with medical evidence. Or if they overlooked or simply failed to use the evidence you have already presented then the next logical step is to continue your appeal to the board.

Thanks, Ricky,

Since the C&P did not diagnose PTSD based on his abbreviated exam , but did concede service connected MDD; and the DRO, after review of the evidence, found FOR PTSD , which was originally claimed; we are going to have to appeal with an ammended claim for MDD... or for an increase in compensation percentage for the PTSD 0%.

It seems to be a case of VA failing to use the evidence I have already presented.

I am so confused! Who's on first?blink.gif

Doc John

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello Doc John, sorry, took me a few to get back here, been reading & studying my claim issues too! Sounds like you are doing fine, with responses here from Rick,Berta and especially Mobie. Sounds good that you the DRO (awesome!) and VSR have ammended the claim to include both MDD and your currently SC connected PTSD. Probably you can take a breath and see how that goes, eh? If the statement in your CFile does in fact say MDD "more likely than not service connected" thats sounds like a positive swing in your direction. I wonder, do you have other diagnsois's in your CFile? or SMRs?

I suppose read and Re-ead the diagnosis given and isee if IMOgrees,thats all the better. Do you have other data to "link" your MDD to PTSD if needed? Family, buddy letters or time off work? sleep issues? Just a thought.

If VA finds you have a concrete MDD diagnosis, I wish the best for you. Having the "correct" diagnosis along with GAF and possibly reading a portion of DSM IV about your issues is good information to have. Ya still in group too? Support and understanding peers.

From what I see, pyramiding isnt accepted for mental health issues, but valid diagnosis's like mood disorder and ptsd seem different to me; could be they may "increase" the percentage based upon ammended claim for mental health issues overall. I'll let you know if mine works too. Take a breather meanwhile and keep connected to a hobby! Off I go, I am thinking of learning to play a musical instrument, acoustic guitar, nice and slow, methinks!cg

The DRO added the one word, "embellished", to describe what she otherwise found to be a service connection for my PTSD in her report.

It is impossible for anyone to embellish medical or military documents. They are either true or false.

My shrink says that this is just another way of taking away some of the affirmation from her report to personally demean me.

Let her have her kicks. In the end the truth will prevail.