VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetic With Peripheral Neuropathy

Rate this question

jmack

Question

I am a diabetic with peripheral neuropathy in all 4 extremities and its getting more and more painful to use my right hand because of the effects, I'm right-handed. I have severe degenerative arthritis in my knees and shoulders. The depression is getting out of control. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, so you name the symptom, I have it. I can't even concentrate or stay focus enough to even start to complete the forms that the SSA sent me. One form is a: Function Report-ADULT, and the other is a Work History Report. They were both sent to me from DISABILITY DETERMINATION SERVICES. What do I do? Thanks Josephine for helping me to this point.

jmack

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have anyone (family, doctor,nurse,lawyer, social worker, SSA clerk,etc) that can assist you in filling out the necessary forms?

I am a diabetic with peripheral neuropathy in all 4 extremities and its getting more and more painful to use my right hand because of the effects, I'm right-handed. I have severe degenerative arthritis in my knees and shoulders. The depression is getting out of control. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, so you name the symptom, I have it. I can't even concentrate or stay focus enough to even start to complete the forms that the SSA sent me. One form is a: Function Report-ADULT, and the other is a Work History Report. They were both sent to me from DISABILITY DETERMINATION SERVICES. What do I do? Thanks Josephine for helping me to this point.

jmack

Do you have anyone (family, doctor,nurse,lawyer, social worker, SSA clerk,etc) that can assist you in filling out the necessary forms?

Thanks, I am sure that I can find a family member to help me but is there anything else that I need to include to help my chances. Also the SSA rep that initially took my claim said that they, the SSA have been instructed to give priority to all military that served between 2001 and 2006. He said that they were instructed to give a decision within 6 weeks. Have anyone heard this before.

jmack, get some assistance with those forms, even if you fill them out a little at a time. I went at it full-tilt for my husband, and it took me the better part of the weekend to finish it. Between trying to remember all the hospital admissions, all the outpatient visits, which doctors treated what and where to find them, plus the work history, dates, and what percentage was spent on the job standing, walking, stooping, reaching, etc., it really wore me out.

If you don't have family or friends to help you, call the SSA and tell them your situation, I don't think this would be the first time they've been asked whether they can steer the applicant to some help in getting the forms filled out.

The first report is for you to state your limitations i.e what you can and cannot do... the second is a work history which they will use to see if your current disability will still allow you to perform any of... i.e. a guard job you had 14 years ago... they may say you still can perform the duties associated with it that you listed..

So.. be very in depth... but in my experience they only use these forms to attempt to deny disability... but thats just my experience. I would certainly point out WHY I could no longer perform any of the jobs I listed as having held.

You can also expect your spouse or significant other or whoever you listed as knowing of your condition to receive the same disability limitation report... its good if these kinda match, but I'm not saying to fudge anything... just make sure you are all on the same sheet of music.

The first report is for you to state your limitations i.e what you can and cannot do... the second is a work history which they will use to see if your current disability will still allow you to perform any of... i.e. a guard job you had 14 years ago... they may say you still can perform the duties associated with it that you listed..

So.. be very in depth... but in my experience they only use these forms to attempt to deny disability... but thats just my experience. I would certainly point out WHY I could no longer perform any of the jobs I listed as having held.

You can also expect your spouse or significant other or whoever you listed as knowing of your condition to receive the same disability limitation report... its good if these kinda match, but I'm not saying to fudge anything... just make sure you are all on the same sheet of music.

So they send forms to my wife as well? So would it be safe for her to just send a statement along with the forms I'm to complete?

• HadIt.com Elder

Jmack:

Good luck on your claim and I am sure that you can get the help you need to fill out the forms. If you have to you can go to Social Security Office nearest you and they will help.

Concerning your neuropathy have you tried gabapentin to help. I find that 4 doses of 300 mg of it help mine considerably. If not you might ought to ask your doc the VA gives it for that reason and others.