VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wifes Assistance

Rate this question

edtremblay

Question

Hi I am 100%,100%,100% with housebound tdiufor AO from Nam but now with all my meds for stage 4 cancer my wife has to drive me to all my appointments which causes her to loose a lot of time at work is there any recourse for additional benefits to cover her losses also is there any recourse for loss of quality of life

thanks ED

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It may be you can apply for Aid & Attendance, claiming your wife as your care-taker, which would get you some finaicial help but probably not a whole lot. It might also be applied towards hiring someone to help you get to your appointments so your wife wouldn't have to do it and lose time at work.

I am not, however, familiar with A&A...I just bring it up here to give you a quick response. Someone else who is more up on A&A can come in and answer you better, but I think A&A might be helpful for you.

Also, some vetorgs may be able to take you in their van, or perhaps your city offers some kind of similar "taxi" service.

Sorry to hear of your cancer,

-- John D.

Hi I am 100%,100%,100% with housebound tdiufor AO from Nam but now with all my meds for stage 4 cancer my wife has to drive me to all my appointments which causes her to loose a lot of time at work is there any recourse for additional benefits to cover her losses also is there any recourse for loss of quality of life

thanks ED

Edited by cloudcroft

• HadIt.com Elder

To get a higher level of A&A than housebound you have to not be able to take care of your basic needs such as dressing yourself, feeding yourself, bathing yourself. They don't make it easy. I have the same problem as you since I take strong drugs and it makes driving dangerous. My wife does most of the driving which is pretty dangerous also.

Special Monthly Compensation - also referred to as Aid and Attendance is covered under section 3.350 of CFR 38,. thru 3.363. Generally there is no compensation for a spouse having to drive a veteran, however it can fall under another category of A&A as a sign that the veteran needs more assistance than is being provided.

Things like requiring assistance to bath, dress, ambulate etc are also part of it. Further requiring assistance in putting on an adaptive device, being unable to stand without assistance (this can be your OWN hands - pushing downward on your kness etc)... again this is all covered. I would read the sections and see if they pertain to you, and if so file for an increase.

The lower level of A&A is only like $100/mnth more than HB, so it's not really worth a big fight, but you may want to shoot for the higher level if you think you fit a higher criteria.

Also, there are programs through both medicare and the VA for "assistants" that can help you with problems in every day living, but I'm not real familiar with them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim

My wife is an intolerant driver. She has a whole list of people who should be shot for all kind of infractions. I try to slide down in the seat and disappear when she starts honking her horn and shaking her fists at other drivers. She dares other drivers to hit her.

Hope she doesn't do that to someone who has a gun and suffers from Road Rage...be careful out there.

-- John D.

Jim

My wife is an intolerant driver. She has a whole list of people who should be shot for all kind of infractions. I try to slide down in the seat and disappear when she starts honking her horn and shaking her fists at other drivers. She dares other drivers to hit her.