VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does 100% Disability - Permanent Mean No Future Exams?

Rate this question

StarVista888

Question

I haven't been able to keep a job in over 20 years. My GAF is about 48. It would probably be worse if I actually told the psychiatrist everything but I don't. I called the 800 # and was told I have no future scheduled disability exams.

1. Does that mean if my GAF changes, my SC Disability won't be threatened?

2. I want to try to work two days a week, because I need additional income. Will that hurt my disability rating?

3. Does my 100% SC disability rating translate into my ability to get some kind of social security assistance? I'm unable to live economically based on the amount of SC I receive because I have $1000 per month in student loan fees.

4. Does anyone know if my disability status with the V.A. can help get my government loans forgiven since I'm disabled?

StarVista888

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Star:

Sorry but working is not a good way to keep TDIU in my opinion. Have you applied for Social Security? If not you should.

BTW you can work as long as you make less than the amount that SSD allows someone to keep SSD and work. I thinkk its under 1000 a month but don't remember the exact amount.

• HadIt.com Elder
I haven't been able to keep a job in over 20 years.

My GAF is about 48. It would probably be worse if I actually told the psychiatrist everything but I don't.

I called the 800 # and was told I have no future scheduled disability exams.

1. Does that mean if my GAF changes, my SC Disability won't be threatened?

2. I want to try to work two days a week, because I need additional income. Will that hurt my disability rating?

3. Does my 100% SC disability rating translate into my ability to get some kind of social security assistance? I'm unable to live economically based on the amount of SC I receive because I have $1000 per month in student loan fees.

4. Does anyone know if my disability status with the V.A. can help get my government loans forgiven since I'm disabled?

StarVista888

Star,

Apply for Social Security. If you earned enough "credits" you may be eligible.

You don't need to withold worsening symptoms to your shrink! If you know your current GAF, then you must be retaining hard copies of your treatment records; if not, request them periodically via FOIA.

You are not saying if you are 100% TDIU or 100% Schedular? If you are not getting better (gainfully employed), you have no reason to be concerned about a rating reduction.

Your employment income will be reported if it is taxed. The VA will request your taxed earnings periodically. The VA and SS share a Database.

Given all that, you may earn additional monies if the yearly amount falls on or below income guidelines (poverty) set by social security. Under TDIU for Mental Disorders your additional meager earnings could be justified as a Hobby or Therapy!

I had 2 student loans forgiven due to my P&T status. It took about 9 months. I had to have an M.D. (no less) sign papers that stated I was permanent and total.

Good luck! ~Wings

Edited by Wings