VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Depression

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Help: I went to a C & P for Depression and took a letter that a chief of Medical at another VA Hospital wrote for me and the C & P Doctor would not look at the letter from my VA Doctor. What should I do? Disable veteran without income need answer to his problem with the VA C&P

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get a copy of the C&P. The quickest way is to go to the place you had the C&P and request all your records starting one day before the exam up till now.

When you get it you should compare it to the letter you got from the VA Doc and also you should submit it to the VARO as soon as you can.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Be sure that "Chief's" letter gets to the VARO rating board ASAP! I dunno how to make these examiners READ anything! My examiner spent about 15-20 minutes reviewing my claims file prior to my exam. I dunno if this is typical or not?! ~Wings

1. Copy of C&P Report - please be advised that the place you TOOK your C&P exam may not be the place you get a copy of it from. After reading hadit and trying multiple times to get a copy of my C&P exam from the place I took it at (I called the C&P section there - no go, called the Patient Advocate's office - no go since she was on vacation and stated in her voice mail not to leave a message!! - called Medical Records and it rang and rang and rang (and I have speaker phone so I just let it ring for literally half an hour) I called yet another time after reading yet another hadit post and got, I kid you not, a surgical nurse who told me that I needed to call the major VA hospital because the clinic where I had the C&P exam was only a satellite clinic of the hospital. I called the hospital, talked to the records clerk there, he faxed me the form, I faxed it back, and had the C&P exam in the mail at my home in two days. I was absolutely amazed that nobody at the C&P clinic prior to talking to the surg nurse could tell me how to get a copy of my C&P exam other than to tell me to request it through the VA (I wanted to scream, "You ARE the VA!!!"). Anyway, if the place you took the exam says they can't give you a copy of it make sure they are not a satellite clinic of a major VA hospital.

2. I took copies of job performance reports to my C&P exam to support my claim for IU but the shrink wouldn't look at them because they were not part of the C-file. Makes sense from a legal standpoint since she is contracted by the VA to review the C-file they send her and not whatever I bring in. However, having said that, I have read where examiners will look at other evidence you bring in. She told me to send it to the VA to get it in my C-file, that she couldn't add it to the C-file. Again, makes sense, since she is paid to examine me and not do the admin on my C-file. Good news is that while she didn't read anything I brought she certainly wrote strong IU statements (which the rater ignored).

Hang in there, keep us posted, and good luck with your claim.

TS Snave

Edited by tssnave

Help: I went to a C & P for Depression and took a letter that a chief of Medical at another VA Hospital wrote for me and the C & P Doctor would not look at the letter from my VA Doctor. What should I do? Disable veteran without income need answer to his problem with the VA C&P

Did you fill out a questionnaire? If yes did you get it before you went for the C&P or did they give it to you when you got there for the C&P?

My secret: I have had more C&P Exams than I can count, I finally figured out how to play this game. If they send you a questionnaire and they should unless for mental. If they dont send questionnaires call the C&P office at the VAMC where your appointments are and ask them to send you the questionnaires ahead of time, explain you have memory problems and need time to fill these out, 5 minutes before a C&P exam is not ample time. Type up everything about your condition, look at the rating schedule and use that as a guideline, then print it on the back of the questionnaire, if there isnt enough room continue on separate pieces of paper and staple them all together. Some I did were three pages long. When you fill out the front of the questionnaire put "see back" in the place for answers. This way you will not forget anything, and it will be a part of your official record. I did this for my last C&P's and it worked beautifully, the C&P report was awesome. And believe it or not the doctor never asked me one question her whole report was based on my narratives. When she saw these I guess she thought no need to ask me anything. When it was all over she told me that what I did worked very good for her and she appreciated it. blink.gif My C&P report was 13 pages long. As far as the C&P for PTSD write a statement in support of claim. Again use the rating schedule as a guideline so you don't forget anything or leave information un-addressed. I gave my PTSD examiner a very long statement in support of claim and also gave her one from my wife. Get your wife to write about you, what you do, what you dont do and what its like living with you. Have her write about your moods and emotions. Don't leave anything out. They have to make these statements in support part of your record. Again I received a 7 page PTSD C&P report. The longest report I ever got in the past for anything was three pages. When a vet goes in for a C&P they are nervous and forget many things when it comes to answering questions and specifically when they get in front of the doctor. One other thing, one of the most under used and power full pieces of evidence there is a statement in support of claim from family members. The VA must consider these at face value unless the have a reason to not trust the family member. Follow my advice and you wont be sorry.

You've gotten some good advice. Here is the way I see it.

MOST IMPORTANT: get a copy of the report. I got all mine by getting the form here at Hadit, (printing it) and sent it to the VARO. Not the hospital or clinic. If you have not done so, this is a good time to get your WHOLE c-file. Use the same form and request your complete records. Berta or someone here will know which form. My memory fails me at times.

Get the letter you took in to the C&P (in you c-file) as evidence.

Now, an examiner cannot give an accurate report or opinion without ALL of the available evidence. It is not possible. So this C&P cannot be accurate. When you get the report, read it. If it is not favorable you will have to work to get a new examination with an examiner that has studied ALL of the evidence.

It is not true that a C&P examiner cannot look at new evidence not in your c-file. If they do not, the C&P cannot be accurate. An example: You cannot know how much money is in your checking account if you do not know how much the checks were written for. Even if it is just one check.

If it is favorable, good.

Good luck,

Time

Edited by timetowinarace