VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thalamus

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

Bob this is my new post. I have a appeal pending for loss of use. Actually they did not decide against my claim they simply blew off the effects of my stroke. By this I mean they simply awarded me a 10 percent rating in Jan 05 and failed to rate the residuals. The residuals of the stroke are called Dejerine - Roussy syndrome.

Yes you will find info on Painonline - they term it centeral pain syndrome. One of the best references is at :http://www.centralpain.org/

Believe me good buddy I have read and read and re-read both sites late at night because I could not sleep due to the pain. Doc currently has me on 4000 mg of neurontin, 1600 mg of Trileptal, 180 mg of cymbalta in an effor to curb the pain and other effects of the damaged thalamus but it still is there full force.

In aug 05 it causes me to develop a loss of prepositional sense for both my leg/foot and arm/hand. The loss in the foot requires me to use a brace due to the fact I can not tell when my foot touches the ground during walking unless I can actucally see it. The brace lets me maintain my balance, the ability to not have to watch my foot etc......

I can not hold things in my hand because is this plus the pain keeps the fingers closed into a tight fist.

This all medically documented so I hope I succeed.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Wow Ricky I wasn't aware that was your case. I severed the mylan sheath in the sciatic nerve, therfore losing my anterior tibialis and common peroneal nerve as well as having the pain, but not as bad as yours appears to be. I take 2900mg of neurontin.. and it seems to do ok for the muscle spasms and leg cramps... narcotics do almost nothing but dull my perception, they do not eliminate the pain. I found it interesting that the paper I posted the link to says Opiates like morphine etc. will not really affect the pain because of how they work...

They did say a scan could be done of the thalamus to determine activity etc. Have you had that?

Bob

Wow Ricky I wasn't aware that was your case. I severed the mylan sheath in the sciatic nerve, therfore losing my anterior tibialis and common peroneal nerve as well as having the pain, but not as bad as yours appears to be. I take 2900mg of neurontin.. and it seems to do ok for the muscle spasms and leg cramps... narcotics do almost nothing but dull my perception, they do not eliminate the pain. I found it interesting that the paper I posted the link to says Opiates like morphine etc. will not really affect the pain because of how they work...

They did say a scan could be done of the thalamus to determine activity etc. Have you had that?

Bob

Bob is their way I can get your e-mail to see if you are able to help me with my NOD for loss of use.

Bob is their way I can get your e-mail to see if you are able to help me with my NOD for loss of use.

Why sure its sixthscents@hotmail.com, or sixthscents@twlakes.net. Please feel free to email me anytime.

Oh Ricky I did have a spinal chord stimulator implanted, and it does work for mild to moderate pain... it lets me have more "good" days. I can reccomend them without reservation.

Yes a many a day I have felt like heading straight towards the ole on-coming train, but you know how that goes.

My neuro is debating on some type of stimulator that the will place inside of my brain. They have had some success with it but the results are not well documented todate. Tricare hems and haws on the ideal since it is an expermential thing at this time.

Yes you are right about the narcotics they only seem to dull the senses for a while then reality sets back in.

The dang RO failed to allow me my DRO hearing last year and my time was running out so I had to perfect my appeal. Then in Apr of this year they finally conducted my DRO hearing so my claim is really doinked up. They do not know whether they are coming or going with it. One day it appears that they are preparing it for the BVA then the next day it looks like the DRO is working on it. They have only confused themselves or maybe it was designed that way hahahahaha. Anyway I thought that since the hearing was in Apr 07 I would have heard something by now.

In the NOD and the form nine I asked for loss of use of the left hand and left foot under 5111. I have some pretty good (at least they sound good to me) statements from the doctor. He has explained that this stuff is not simple PN.

I was about to scan the form 9 for you to look at along with some of the evidence a while ago but you disappeared. Someone said you were sick so I did not want to bother you. I will do so tonight and ask if you would please, look it over and see if you can add any pointers since this thing seems to have taken on a life of its own. I will send to the address you provided to Windy. Any help you can provide Bob will be greatly appreciated.