VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peridoic Limb Movement Disorder/sleep Apnea

Rate this question

RichL

Question

I have been diagnosed with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) and Sleep Apnea by a civilian doctor. I use a CPAP machine nightly. I am currently S/C for PTSD at 30%. I asked civilian doctor if it was possible that my Sleep Apnea could be related (a secondary condition) to my PTSD, and if so, would he state that in my medical records.

What my civilian doctor did was to write To Whom It May Concern Letter for me. The letter said "This is to confirm the Mr..........has a diagnoses of obstructive sleep apnea, periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD), anxiety, and PTSD. It is my impression that his sleep apnea, PLMD, and PTSD/ Anxiety Disorder are all service related. If you have any questions please feel to call me."

Based on this doctors letter, it that enough for me to file for sleep apnea as either a primary condition, or a secondary condition to my S/C PTSD. Additionally, is PLMD a S/C condition? I was not treated for sleep apnea or PLMD while on active duty, but I was diagnosed with both conditions within one year of discharge.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The letter is a little lacking Rich. The doctor can not determine service connection. He can however, determine if the problems are due to your PTSD.

He should have provided that the problems are more than likely due to your PTSD and then provided his reasons why he has determined this (ie...experience treating PTSD patients, medical litature etc....)

Discuss this with him and see if he will write another letter for there is no way a rater will give any probative weight to the one he has written.

Sorry I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but it is the way VA is required to operate.

i believe ricky is absolutely right, the statement you have is not probative of any link between service and sleep apnea, or between a service connected condition and sleep apnea. a rater will dismiss it out of hand.

periodic limb movement disorder is not a disability for rating purposes. just a pain in the neck for your wife.

sleep apnea is not a chronic presumptive condition so it does not matter whether you were diagnosed within one year of discharge. review your service medical records to find any complaint of daytime somnolence, snoring, or the like while on active duty. if you can find that, you can argue that the symptoms were present on active duty, and the date of diagnosis would then not be a problem.

That opinion wont help -

please see Getting an Independent Medical Opinion under the search feature-

the IMO must contain a full medical rationale for any statement the doctor makes in regards to service connection, directly or as secondary-

Also see my post on Aggravation of NSC condition due to SC disability

"but I was diagnosed with both conditions within one year of discharge."

The IMO doctor also has to see your SMRs to opine on that as well as all of your medical records.

Did you clearly state that in your claim?

And he/she should state their medical expertise that renders them competent to opine on these issues.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have sleep apnea with a VA prescribed CPAP and I also have restless leg syndrome where my legs shake and move quickly disturbing Mrs Pete unless I go to bed late and take a xanax to relieve symptoms.

Rich does this sound like symptoms that you have? I don't have PTSD but I do have an anxiety disorder or Panic Disorder diagnosed by VA.

PS I am happy for your win but think that if you have service connected sleep apnea that the rating should be higher with a CPAP machine?