VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Med Records/bay Pines

Rate this question

william n

Question

i went too the release of info office and told me i could not have any records that pertain too the domicillary..medical/psyc/etc.. because while i'm here as a "resident" i'm considered inpatient and can't have acess to them..i need them for my claim...can i get someone too help me?? thanks, will

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tell them you are entitled to a copy according to the FIOA. Then demand you get the copy. Next go to the Patient Advocate and complain.

They try to pull that crap all the time.

William,

Even with a FOIA - whether VA or private doc - they DO NOT HAVE TO RELEASE PSYC RECORDS.

All the doc has to do is state in any way that it may be harmful for the patient to read their psyc records. At Bay Pines I have had great luck in getting copies of my MH records. Speak with your MH provider and let them know you have a claim at the RO for compensation and your records are needed to support your claim. All the MH provider needs to do is put a note in their computer, (I think it would be in the CPRS section of the VA medical centers computer system) to the ROI section stating, " I authorize the MH records to be released to patient XXXXX, I am releasing these records to be used for the purpose of VA comp or SSA disability claim.

Now to be real honest with you, if you are currently suicidal or homicidal the doc will most likely not release the records right now.

FYI - my MH provider out at Bay Pines is Dr. Lori Shriner.

hope this helps a vet.

jmho,

carlie