VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pn Lower Extremity.

Rate this question

Conecuh

Question

What percentage is possable for PN of lower extremities? Can you only get 10% per leg, foot.

Does percentage only rely on medical evidence?

Thanks for your help.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The level of disability assigned to ANY CLAIMED ISSUE will be based upon the medical evidence provided in support of the claim. Normally PN is based upon the results of an EMG and the specific nerve affected.

hi conecuh. i am assuming you are talking about peripheral neuropathy as due to diabetes mellitus. here is how i rate it, and i am fairly typical. if the vet indicates subjective pain, numbness and tingling, 0 percent. if va examiner finds that there is some objective impairment of sensation to touch or pinprick, 10 percent. higher evaluations need emg data to back them up, as ricky pointed out. however, i will make an exception if there is persistent diabetic ulceration or complete loss of all protective sensation (objectively documented). there are more liberal raters out there, so pursue the claim, you may luck out.

Guest terrysturgis

My lower body PN is now rated at 40% bilaterial. Initially I was rated at 20% bliaterial. The C&P consisted of sensory touch and range of motion. I never had an EMG.

The decision states:

The neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes, and is considered part of your initial claim for service connection for diabetes.

The evaluation of peripherial neuropathy of both lower extremities is increased to 40 percent disabling effective xxx xx, 200x, which is the date of the VA examination that showed the condition had worsened. Vibratory sense was absent at the ankles and monofilament sensorium was absent over much of the feet. The examination showed that in addition to loss of sensations which had been shown ealier, strenght in your quadriceps flexors and flexors in your feet was reduced to 4/5, a medical finding that indicates strength against light resistance only, not full strength. The examiner stated that the neuropathy now involved several nerve tracts and described the severity of the neuropathy as moderate to severe. These findings meet the requirements for the increased evaluation from the date of examination.

A higher evaluation of 60 percent is not warranted unless there is evidence of incomplete paralysis below the knee which is severe with marked muscular atrophy. There is no marked muscular atrophy, so the 60 percent evaluation is not assigned.

My upper body is 10 percent bilaterial.

I must have found one of the more liberial raters and the C&P examiner did a good exam. Long story short, the PN hurts like h___ and has ruined my life but it's OK I have my wife of 39 years to open the pickle jar. Take care. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing about PN is that it can lead to amputation due to unnoticed injuries to the foot that become infected. I knew a fellow postal worker who lost his foot due to PN and gangreen setting in all due to DMII and lack of care.

hi conecuh. i am assuming you are talking about peripheral neuropathy as due to diabetes mellitus. here is how i rate it, and i am fairly typical. if the vet indicates subjective pain, numbness and tingling, 0 percent. if va examiner finds that there is some objective impairment of sensation to touch or pinprick, 10 percent. higher evaluations need emg data to back them up, as ricky pointed out. however, i will make an exception if there is persistent diabetic ulceration or complete loss of all protective sensation (objectively documented). there are more liberal raters out there, so pursue the claim, you may luck out.

Treatment; Electromyography (EMG).

Diagnosis; Sever Diffuse Sensorimotor Peripheral Neuropathy.

I was bit 27 times by fire ants and did not know it. Droped the fire off my cig in my flip-flop, did not know it.

I am sure my SSD award was for "service connected condistion" of Diabetes 2 with PN lower extremity. Lumbago is in my medical records but was hardly mentioned in SSD applacation. By the way folks, Diabetes 2 with PN is one of the few "Listed" reasons you can be awarded SSD.

My complaint is that while the EMG showed both lower extremities, I was only awarded one. 10%. So instead of having my "40% for one condition" I only have 30%.

I worked construction. Can't get down on my knees, crawl, climb etc etc. Can't feel my feet. I stumble because of that.

But I understand the rater does not take that into consideration.

Hopefully I will get a rater with good common sence. "Complete loss of all protective sensation" describes my situation.

Entropent, are you allowed to speak english to the rater? Grin! I mean, just tell him in your own words in a cover letter?

John999, I am happy to just have feet! I know I must sound like I am whinning. I feel bad posting,as I know so many are in much worse shap than me.

But the truth is, I can't work because of this. And that miff's me a little bit. Did I mention the PTSD? Grin!

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks to all.

"entropent, are you allowed to speak english to the rater? Grin! I mean, just tell him in your own words in a cover letter?"

absolutely the best way to communicate with the rater. you don't need a 4138. send a letter to whom it may concern. specifically state that you have had these incidents with fire ants and cigarettes, and if your wounds have difficulty healing, state that, too. state that you can't feel your feet, and that you stumble. be brief, to the point, and be real. (and type it, easier to read that way.) the rater doesn't know how this affects your life until you tell him. he may not quote your statement back to you in his reasoning, but he will have to read it, and in so doing, he will understand what you are living with. if you add in emg abnormalities in both lower extremities, i am pretty optimistic about your claim.