VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Retro Award Program

Rate this question

BIGPAPA92

Question

I have a question. Did anyone on this board receive their VA Retro Award while their files were still at the BVA or Appeals Management center? If so, what did you have to do? I'm told by the RO that nothing can be done until my files are returned and they can't use the temp files. I've been trying to find a rule, directive or reg that pertains to this type of situation but nothig yet.

If there is one and someone knows about it please let me know. I'm A little skiddish when I'm told this and they can perform other financial duties without the files. For example: I was divorced in June 2007. Sent copies to RO in June 2007. Received letter in Aug adjusting my pay and saying I was overpaid and how much and it would be withheld.

Making their own rules is how we got into this Retro Award program in the first place.

Thanks Much

Bigpapa92

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that, if your C-file is in BVA/AMC, you won't receive anything until it (Claim/C-file) is returned to your RO, and it goes through the Rater's hands.

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW....one of the reasons that the VA encourages you to give them your direct deposit information, has nothing to do with them depositing money to your account..... B)

• HadIt.com Elder

AMC will return the "C" File and your VARO has to request the retro. You could be talking about another month or two wait. Sorry but at least you know its coming. One good thing is once they atrt paying they are pretty good at that.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Once the BVA issues a decision the c-file is returned to the RO, so the RO can follow the BVA's instructions. Nothing will be done until the RO receives the c-file. Once there the time varies. In my case, I was due 10 yrs retro and the RO screwed it up and shorted me one year. Their award took about a month after they received my c-file. I immediately sent them a letter advising them of their error and received the additional years comp in about 3 weeks.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Philip

Ten years of retro! What did you buy first? Or what did you pay off first? First thing I did when I got some money is pay off the damn mortgage.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, it was only $99+k, because I'd won many battles/increases along the way but I got back w/estranged spouse, purchased a house for us, with carriage house for Mom and then we filed for and had a nasty divorce within 90 days of house purchase. Money didn't last long but realized how long I'd had PTSD and how it effected my daily life, since Nam. Lost house during divorce but was able to purchase another for Mom and I, until she had a stroke and I was no longer able to care for her. I've forgiven my ex for all that happened during that period of our lives and moved on. These days I'm thankful for every day. Life is too short not to forgive! jmo

pr